Vice President, Legal and Business Affairs
Sony MusicFranklin, TN
Full Time Job
Oversee all legal and business affairs and administration for Provident Entertainment (Provident Label Group, RCA Inspiration, Provident Films, and Essential Music Publishing) and provide guidance and input to executive team on all Provident Entertainment (''PE'') business affairs matters.
Contract Administration duties
• Review, negotiate, draft and administer contracts for the following (including, but not limited to): artists and all artist related matters, production, online promotions, joint ventures, film, video, artwork, consulting, merchandising, vendor/service, publishing and administration.
• Ensure all contracts are completed within guidelines and policies established by Sony Music Entertainment.
• Provide counsel to internal departments and senior management on day-to-day business and legal issues and strategy.
• Advise executive leadership team, marketing, A&R, promotion, finance, and other departments regarding contractual obligations and restrictions.
• Review and approve all videos, artwork, label copy, advertising, and other promotional materials and initiatives; advise on legal issues and minimize company's legal exposure.
• Address concerns and propose solutions arising from contractual and other restrictions while balancing legal considerations with business objectives.
• Analyze and assess potential risks and propose recommended courses of action.
• Analyze and assess validity of claims and work with Sony Music legal and business affairs staff and outside counsel, when appropriate, to propose method of resolution, including settlement terms or other courses of action.
• Respond to requests for information and/or advice from other business units, including contract research and analysis.
• Obtain all necessary management approvals on key terms of agreements and settlements.
• Review and approve all payments associated with all contracts (e.g. royalties, advances, recoupable costs, net proceeds, etc.).
Publishing administration duties
Oversee contract administration for music publishing clients, including option reviews, payment of advances and monitoring delivery requirements; ensure all owned and administered songs have been registered (copyright office, CCLI, PRO's, digital services, etc.), all exploitations have been licensed, and all royalties and fees have been collected and paid through to writers and other clients.
Royalty administration responsibilities
Oversee royalty set up, processing and payment for all Provident Entertainment products (physical, digital and otherwise), including copyright royalties, contract royalties, union royalties, distributed label royalties, and master license income. Oversee royalty administration for Essential Music Publishing, including set up, processing and payment for all Essential Music Publishing songwriters and all owned and administered catalogs songs.
Copyright administration duties
Oversee securing all necessary licenses (i.e., mechanical, synchronization, lyric reprint) and other permissions and clearances for all product released by Provident Entertainment, and set up of all such licenses in the royalty systems. Ensure requirements are met for the following: union requirements, recording and packaging cost payment and budgets, and music licensing.
A&R administration duties
Oversee all processes associated with all recordings by Provident Entertainment recording artists (including securing producers, mixers, musicians, mixers, studios, mastering, payment and tracking of recording budgets, advances, etc.), all processes associated with compiling packaging design, photo shoots, label copy and digital copy for all product released by Provident Entertainment, and overseeing compiling of all recording and packaging assets for archiving and storage at Sony Music vault facilities and via digital platforms.
Communicate and enforce Sony Music policies and procedures related to radio promotion, contesting, online promotions on current and emerging social medial sites/platforms, etc. Advise staff on compliance with policies. Ensure PE employees complete required compliance training courses.
• Law degree from a reputable law school and strong legal background in the areas of the law applicable to the music business (copyright, artist contracts, trademark, licensing, royalty accounting, music publishing, etc.)
• Minimum of 10 years of legal experience in an entertainment company or related law practice including at least 5 years of experience in drafting music related agreements
• Prior experience managing and motivating a staff
• Proven skill negotiating and drafting complex, music related agreements
• General problem-solving skills, business acumen, organization, and a focus on detail are of critical importance to succeeding in this role
• Strong interpersonal skills - ability to effectively communicate with all levels of management and employees as well as external business contacts and adapt styles and manner based on needs of your audience
• Creative self-starter with ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced environment
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and a broad knowledge of the digital landscape
• Proven experience in a role that required the consistent ability to meet deadlines, maintaining composure and effectiveness under pressure and changing conditions
Enjoy a newly remodeled open-floor plan workspace in the Cool Springs area of Franklin, Tennessee, with free parking. Sony offers competitive benefits including medical, dental, life, and disability insurance, as well as 401(k) match, and generous paid time off per year (including paid holiday time Christmas Day through New Year's Day).
No relocation expenses will be paid.
Your cover letter is your opportunity to convince us you are the perfect person for this job! Take note to identify specific experiences related to the job requirements above.
Sony Music Entertainment is a global recorded music company with a roster of current artists that includes a broad array of both local artists and international superstars, as well as a vast catalog that comprises some of the most important recordings in history.
Sony Music Entertainment is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America.
In compliance with the Tennessee Non-Smokers Protection Act, Sony Music is a smoke-free workplace.
Sony Music is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.