Senior Manager, Catalog Strategy
Sony MusicMiami, FL
Full Time Job
The Senior Manager of Catalog Strategy will be directly responsible for developing strategies for key projects & artists based on insights. The goal of the role is to help our artists connect better with their audiences across the globe, with special focus on dynamic expansion of Sony Music Latin (SML) catalog. S/he will play critical role in maximizing the success of our releases by leading the process of goal setting & performance tracking, spearheading cross-functional efforts for priority releases and recommending necessary interventions especially on early stages. This position will be Reporting to the Head of Audience Insights & Catalog and will work closely with the Catalog Audience Development Manager,
• Develop and lead execution of outcome-oriented consumer and data-driven strategies for catalog:
• Pro-actively expand audience for artists and for platforms
• Develop and nurture fan communities around artists & genres
• Create experimentation sand-box/lab that will develop, test and optimize new/different marketing and communication tools, approaches, and types of content
• Develop processes, capabilities & tools for agile opportunities identification based on data analytics
• Generate opportunities for commercial/brand partnerships, fueling licensing & merchandising business for catalog artists
• Turn management of catalog into a compelling reason for artists to sign/re-sign with the label
• Develop commercial strategies (distribution, support, play-listing, assets creation) aimed at growing catalog consumption in key digital accounts and partner with Digital Sales team to deliver them.
• Manage relationship with artists, owning the relationship with “catalog-only” artists and partnering with Project Managers to work on catalog content with frontline artists
• Lead identification and work in partnership with Catalog Audience Development Manager on addressing opportunities for catalog part of SML business, including but not limited to:
• Branded assets development: Create SML owned branded assets targeted at reaching specific audience and promoting section of catalog centered on genre/sub-genre/group of artists. Brand would have a clear target, communication strategy, social presence (likely with own social assets) and presence on platforms incl. playlists.
• Fan-base nurturing: Establish and grow online (and potentially off-line) communities of fans of Latin music, with objectives of gathering feedback/conducting research, co-creation of content and communication, leveraging as ambassadors and influencers in broader audience.
• Commercial partnerships: Develop collaboration with 3rd parties around the use of catalog music/relations with artist
• Touring/live performance: Leverage concerts to drive catalog consumption of DSPs, utilize consumption data to optimize touring schedule (time and location) for catalog artists
• Content creation: Development of 1) premium/paid 2) promotional (communication focused) and consumption (monetization focused) audio and video content related to catalog content/artists incl.:
• Re-releases of audio tracks
• Filling gaps in video availability of owned audio tracks
• Remixes, new versions, re-mastered tracks, featuring, samples use in new releases
• Albums, anniversary, tribute, cover albums releases, remixes, covers
• Promotional video materials – interviews, BTS, teasers
• Promotional vehicles creation: Collaboration / production of podcasts, digital/terrestrial radio programs, development and distribution of visual/written content related to catalog tracks and artists (artists, events, genre, era/decade anniversary focused) articles, blogs, newsletter, social and website publications.
• Platforms optimization: Catalog play-listing strategies, leverage of Pandora to identify high potential content (based on their algorithm), older/non-digital audience expansion with Pandora/Amazon through catalog content, YouTube channel strategy and content revamp incl. SEO optimization
• Catalog acquisitions: Utilize data to identify potential attractive available content
• Maximize synch: Develop matching system based on advanced queries suggesting optimal catalog tracks for scene type, audience, emotional responses
• Calendar management: Drive consumption based on in-depth understanding of seasonality and audience triggers (e.g. salsa peaking on Thanksgiving afternoon).
• Spearhead the process of performance tracking vs. objectives, including leading the weekly priorities review process, working closely with heads of Digital Commercial & Marketing functions and artists relations. Going beyond the data to identify and clearly communicate issues and opportunities, as well as develop actionable recommendations that ensure achievement of objectives for priority projects.
• Manage acquired frontline tracks not belonging to signed artists, leading whole projects, from developing goals, objectives and strategy, through release execution and driving consumption across the platforms over the lifecycle of the tracks, working closely with all functions across the label.
• 8 years' of recent experience in entertainment busines with at least 5 years in music business preferably working with Latin music genres.
• Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Market Research, Analytics, Business Administration, Music or related discipline from an accredited university is required, Masters/MBA is preferred.
• Successful track record of working with digital sales/accounts, developing artists, managing track/album releases.
• Experience in developing strategies, marketing / sales plans and leading the execution.
• Must be a team player, passionate and selfless collaborator, inspiring team leader effectively driving agenda across the organization and with external stakeholders, with outstanding collaboration skills.
• Must have a proven track record of prioritizing tasks and effectively managing multiple projects at the same time.
• Must be proficient at clearly and concisely communicating strategies and plans to diverse stakeholders. Fluency in English is required. Spanish is a major plus.