Sony MusicBrooklyn, NY
Full Time Job
Sony Music Entertainment is a global leader in audio entertainment that works in partnership with music and podcasting talent to develop and maximize their creative and commercial opportunities. Three Uncanny Four, a new podcast joint-venture with Sony Music Entertainment.The Senior Editor is responsible developing and editing podcast series for the company. This is an editorial leadership role. This role will report to the COO and is based in Brooklyn, New York.
About Three Uncanny Four
Three Uncanny Four was co-founded in 2019 by Adam Davidson and Laura Mayer in partnership with Sony Music Entertainment. Davidson is a contributing writer for The New Yorker and a leading broadcaster and podcasting voice who co-founded and co-hosted NPR's Planet Money and served as a frequent contributor to This American Life. His co-reporting on the episode ''The Giant Pool of Money'' for This American Life received the Peabody, DuPont-Columbia, and Polk Awards and was named one of the top works of journalism of the decade by New York University's Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute. In addition, he has previously worked with Adam McKay as a co-host of Gimlet Media's Surprisingly Awesome podcast. Mayer, who started her career in radio as a producer across multiple shows at WNYC New York Public Radio including the Fishko Files and On the Media, is a highly accomplished podcast producer. She previously oversaw all podcast production and launched dozens of shows for Panoply Media and also led the first season of production of Revisionist History. Most recently, she was the Executive Producer for Show Development at Stitcher where she developed and produced numerous projects for the company's comedy-focused Earwolf network and Stitcher label.
• Work with the CEO and COO on both the high-level editorial vision for the company, as well as the editorial vision at the series level.
• Bring series from initial development through launch while working collaboratively with a team of producers.
• Closely collaborate with Showrunners on show production.
• The Senior Editor will spend the majority of their time in active production, guiding the making of new series
• The Senior editor will also help evaluate new series and spend time helping shape the company's overall editorial direction with TUF senior leadership.
• The Senior Editor will manage a group of editorial employees.
• The Senior Editor will help create and refine editorial processes to make them financially and creatively sustainable.
• Bachelor's Degree preferred but not required
• Must have relevant experience in narrative storytelling – whether in radio, podcasting, writing, film or TV.
• Comfortable, and excited, about working across multiple shows and genres.
• Must be an enthusiastic manager – both of employees and creative processes.
• Excellent communication skills and be a team player.
• Must know when to ask for help while also taking ownership over the success or challenges of their shows.
• At least 7 years of editorial experience in a fast-paced, narrative-centric media environment.
• Strong writing skills required.
• Podcast experience encouraged but not required.
• Must love and listen to podcasts!
Sony Music is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, marital and civil partnership/union status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.