Senior Director, Business & Legal Affairs, Film
Sony MusicNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Senior Director, Business & Legal Affairs, Film, TV & Podcasts
Sony Music is looking for a Senior Director, Business and Legal Affairs, to join the Podcast and Film & TV Divisions. Reporting to the VP of Business and Legal Affairs, the Senior Director will handle (1) all aspects of day-to-day podcast production from development through production, distribution and sales, and (2) film & tv development, financing, production and distribution.
This role will negotiate and draft business terms and agreements for podcasts, feature films and television, provide legal analysis and advice, and serve as production counsel to Sony Music's podcast studios. Film and tv productions include feature documentaries, biographical films, docu-series and scripted television. Podcast productions include comedy, true crime, news, society and culture, history, and kids and family.
What you'll do:
• Negotiate and draft talent and producer agreements, first look agreements, shopping agreements, option purchase agreements, production services agreements and co-development agreements for podcasts, film and tv.
• Negotiate and draft acquisition and business development agreements for film, television and podcast distribution.
• Liaise and coordinate with the following departments: creative, business development, finance, litigation, marketing, public relations, label A&R.
• Review budgets and other financial data associated with the development and production of such programming.
• Provide day-to-day production oversight and legal support across Sony Music's podcast studios.
• Identify legal risks and provide legal advice to producers and creative executives as they arise in the context of pre-production, production and post-production.
• Advise on copyright and other intellectual property issues, chain-of-title, content clearances, fair use, First Amendment, defamation, privacy, and right of publicity issues.
• Conduct script vetting and pre-publication review.
• Advise on production matters impacting marketing/promotions/publicity.
• Counsel and collaborate with cross-functional partners (e.g., employment, finance, marketing, privacy) on original content-related matters.
Who you are:
• Juris Doctorate (JD) from an accredited institution.
• 7 years of experience, including 5 years working at an entertainment law firm and/or as in-house legal department at a major TV, Film, or Podcast studio, network, or production company.
• Must have strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to build interdepartmental relationships and relationships with senior executives and Artist's representatives.
• Experience with production financing/co-financing, back-end definitions, international markets and practical knowledge of the industry (including production and licensing) is required.
• Deep knowledge of intellectual property law (particularly involving creative content).
• Exceptional organizational, prioritization and time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced production environment.
• Must have excellent drafting, negotiating and communication skills.
• Expertise in content development and production.
• Fluency in Spanish a plus, but not required.
What we give you:
• You join an inclusive, collaborative and global community where you have the opportunity to fuel the creative journey
• A modern office environment designed to foster productivity, creativity, and teamwork
• An attractive and comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & disability coverage, and 401K employer matching
• Voluntary benefits like company-paid identity theft protection and resources for pets, mental health and meditation resources, industry-leading fertility coverage, fully paid leave for childbirth or bonding, fully paid leave for caregivers, programs for loved ones with developmental disabilities and neurodiversity, subsidized back-up child and elder care, and reimbursement for adoption, surrogacy, tuition and student loans
• We invest in your professional growth & development
• Time off for a winter recess