Head Of A&R
Sony MusicNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Head of A&R will be responsible for finding and acquiring recording artists, songs and producers as well as leading artist development efforts for artists in the dance and electronic music genre. This role will report directly to the President of Ultra Records and can be based in New York or Los Angeles.
Ultra Records has been in the forefront of dance and electronic music for over two and a half decades. Over the years, the record label has released music from the most renown artists in the genre, including: deadmau5, Kaskade, Steve Aoki, Kygo, Deorro, Black Coffee, Sofi Tukker, DVBBS, David Guetta, Benny Benassi, Tiesto, MK and many more.
David Waxman, the President of Ultra, was previously the head of A&R for over 20 years and responsible for signing the majority of iconic artists to the label. He is now looking for a bright, well connected candidate with exceptional ears and a wealth of knowledge in the genre to help continue the Ultra legacy of being the best home for dance and electronic music artists in the world.
Ultra has staff in NY, LA, Toronto, London, Paris, Madrid and more.
If you think you can add value to the creative team and lead the A&R team, prove it and share your story! Apply today and tell us why you are the best addition to our successful team.
What you'll do:
• Find and acquire electronic and dance recording artists, songs and producers through demos, recordings and
• Spot new trends in electronic and dance music
• Cultivate relationships with artists and representatives and negotiate deals.
• Solicit producers and coordinate meetings with artists and producers.
• Set up recording, mixing and mastering sessions.
• Select singles and key tracks.
• Help other A&R's in closing deals and giving input in creative areas with signed artists where needed
• Act as liaison with artist, artist managers and creative department regarding marketing
• Help build and sustain a healthy bridge between A&R, the artists and the other creative areas within the company.
• Mentor and manage a team of A & R professionals.
• Must be a strong negotiator and closer.
Who you are:
• 10 years of experience with senior roles in A&R and artist development in the Electronic and Dance space.
• Manager/leadership experience.
• Ability to lead and teach less experienced colleagues in the A&R field
• Strong communication skills.
• Strong artist relation skills.
• Ability to multitask and juggle multiple projects throughout the day.
• Ability to handle and defuse intense situations.
• Ability to handle talent relations effectively.
• Able to work across multiple departments successfully.
• Ability to understand, manage and forecast budgets.
• Travel is required as needed.
• Must be willing and able to attend concerts, artist appearances, and photo and video
shoots as requested.
• Must be able to attend artist performances, recording sessions and rehearsals.
What we give you:
• You join an inclusive, collaborative and global community where you have the opportunity to fuel the creative journey.
• A modern office environment designed to foster productivity, creativity, and teamwork.
• Our Hybrid with Flexibility approach combines the flexibility of remote working with the benefits of in-person collaboration whenever we need to come together to do our best work. Managers will partner with their teams and employees to establish work arrangements that meet the business, team, and individual needs.
• An attractive and comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & disability coverage, and 401K employer matching.
• Voluntary benefits like company-paid identity theft protection and resources for pets, mental health and meditation resources, industry-leading fertility coverage, fully paid leave for childbirth or bonding, fully paid leave for caregivers, programs for loved ones with developmental disabilities and neurodiversity, subsidized back-up child and elder care, and reimbursement for adoption, surrogacy, tuition and student loans.
• We invest in your professional growth & development.
• Time off for a winter recess.
• The anticipated annual base salary for this position is $100k to $200k. This range does not include any other compensation components or other benefits that an individual may be eligible for. The actual base salary offered depends on a variety of factors, which may include as applicable, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, specific and unique skills, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, and the location in which the applicant lives and/or from which they will be performing the job.
Sony Music is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, marital and civil partnership/union status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.