Sony MusicNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Director, Publicity for Columbia Records will actively promote designated acts on Columbia’s roster by seeking and securing publicity opportunities in all media formats.
• Create, implement, and manage results-oriented national publicity campaigns for assigned artists.
• Plan and oversee press events and appearances for assigned artists.
• Write and edit press releases, bios, media alerts, PSAs, press kit contents, and other materials.
• Select press photos and hire/manage photographers for live shows and video/photo shoots.
• Expand and maintain publicity and entertainment contact database.
• Develop and manage relationships with artist managers as well as key decision-makers at all traditional (newspaper, magazine, TV) and online publications/media outlets as well as at venues and clubs.
• Cultivate relationships with key players in the Film and TV industries as well as lifestyle, fashion, and cultural-media space.
• Manage projects and relationships with external Marketing and PR companies.
• Set-up/facilitate press days with artists and media outlets.
• Secure tickets for various media members for live shows.
• Develop and continually manage timelines and budgets.
• 7 years of prior publicity/media relations experience required.
• Must have strong media contacts and relationships on a national and local level.
• Demonstrated ability to manage relationships and projects with outside Marketing and PR companies.
• Prior writing experience.
• Outgoing personality with the demonstrated ability to pitch acts both verbally and in writing.
• The successful candidate must have a passion for innovative and effective publicity campaigns.
• The successful candidate will possess a positive attitude, an eagerness to learn and a demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast paced work environment while juggling multiple tasks and priorities.
• The successful candidate must have excellent command of language with strong writing skills, telephone skills and interpersonal skills and they will need to be comfortable interacting with high profile clients.
• Must be highly organized and capable of developing and keeping to a project timeline.
• Knowledge of and passion for music and culture.
• Knowledge of how the print, television and online news media work and how to generate press on artists and manage media campaigns to maximize coverage for label artists.
• Proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook, Internet, Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
• College degree in Media/Communications or a related field preferred.
Sony Music is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, marital and civil partnership/union status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.