Director, Business & Legal Affairs
Sony MusicMiami, FL
Full Time Job
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Business & Legal Affairs, and working out of the Miami office, the Director, Business and Legal Affairs for the Sony US Latin label is responsible for the review, negotiation and drafting of contracts for artists and all artist-related matters, joint ventures, distribution deals, production deals, consulting deals, and new media agreements.
• Review, draft and negotiate various agreements (initial, intermediate and final versions) including, but not limited to, recording agreements, producer agreements, label deals, joint ventures, license agreements, distribution agreements, merchandise agreements, product placement deals, brand partnership agreements, soundtrack agreements, and settlement agreements.
• Provide counsel to internal departments and senior management on day-to-day business regarding legal issues and strategy.
• Review marketing, publicity and promotion initiatives and advise departments on any legal issues.
• Review videos, artwork, label copy, advertising, and other promotional materials to minimize company’s legal exposure.
• Analyze and assess potential risks and propose recommended courses of action in light of legal considerations and business objectives.
• Police piracy and copyright infringement by investigating incidents of piracy, drafting “cease & desist” letters, negotiating resolution of such incidents, and evaluating whether further legal action is warranted.
• Respond to requests for information and/or advice from other business units, including contract research and analysis.
• Juris Doctorate (JD) degree.
• Music business experience including drafting recording, and other music entertainment-related agreements.
• A minimum of 5 years of legal experience in an entertainment company or related law practice. Law firm experience and/or label experience preferred.
• Ability to relocate to the Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Florida area.
• Excellent negotiating, drafting, and communication skills.
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment while still paying attention to detail and spotting potential issues is absolutely key.
• Must be solution oriented and enjoy problem solving.
• Ability to remember and recall details of multiple projects on request.
• Spanish-speaking skills a plus but not required.