Director, A&R, Awal
Sony MusicLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
The Director, A&R will be responsible for finding and acquiring recording artists, songs and producers as well as leading artist development efforts for designated artists in their genre. This role will report directly to the SVP, Head of A&R, AWAL North America and can be in New York or Los Angeles.
AWAL has revolutionized the recording business by putting the creator at the center of everything we do and transforming the way artists release music. Whether an artist is looking for the best digital distribution or a comprehensive global campaign, AWAL has become the partner of choice for innovative artists at all stages of their careers. This has created a high-quality path for artists to achieve success while maintaining ownership of their masters. The leading artists who have already chosen AWAL include Lauv, FINNEAS, Dayglow, JVKE, Gus Dapperton, Lizzy McAlpine, girl in red, Cold War Kids, Little Simz, khai dreams, and many more.
AWAL is currently over 150 people based across 10 offices and we're continuing to grow. That's where you come in. If you feel like the fast-paced, rewarding environment of our rapidly growing company is for you - share your story! Apply today and tell us why you are the best addition to our successful team.
WHAT DOES A DIRECTOR, A&R AT AWAL DO?
• Find and acquire recording artists, songs and producers through demos, recordings and live performances.
• Cultivate relationships with artists and representatives and negotiate deals.
• Solicit producers and coordinate meetings with artists and producers.
• Spearhead recording, mixing and mastering sessions.
• Select singles and key tracks.
• Act as liaison with artist, artist managers and art department regarding marketing concepts.
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
• 6-8 years of experience in A&R and artist development.
• Strong communication skills.
• Strong artist relation skills.
• Ability to multitask and juggle multiple projects throughout the day.
• Ability to handle and defuse intense situations.
• Ability to handle talent relations effectively.
• Able to work across multiple departments successfully.
• Ability to understand, manage and forecast budgets.
• Travel is required as needed.
• Must be willing and able to attend concerts, artist appearances, and photo and video shoots as requested.
• Must be able to attend artist performances, recording sessions and rehearsals.
AWAL is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
AWAL is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, marital and civil partnership/union status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
This position requires that the job candidate be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Please note that an applicant will be considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose vaccine series (Pfizer or Moderna), or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine (Johnson & Johnson's Janssen vaccine). The Company will consider requests for reasonable accommodations for documented medical reasons and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law. Please do not include proof of vaccine status or any indication of a possible request for an accommodation when submitting your application materials. If applicable, the Company will follow up with you directly to request proof of vaccination and to discuss any potential accommodations.