Analyst, Digital Strategy & Investments
Sony MusicNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Sony Music Entertainment is a global recorded music company with a roster of artists that includes local and international superstars, as well as a vast catalog that comprises some of the most important recordings in history. Sony Music Entertainment is a part of a portfolio of Sony Entertainment brands responsible for creating blockbuster films, consumer-friendly electronics, and mind-bending VR.
At Sony Music, we are passionate about helping our artists succeed in an industry that sees constant change and innovation. The Global Digital Business team is on the front lines, ensuring that we make the most of our relationships with major digital distribution partners, such as Apple, Spotify or Amazon, and work with the most exciting digital music startups. We strive to be ahead of the curve and shape how customers connect with artists and content they love.
The Analyst position will work with the Digital Strategy & Investments team to support development of the group’s digital strategy and evaluate investment opportunities, helping to set the overall strategic direction of the company with respect to its priorities and deal-making. The role will form a critical part of the team and predominantly focus on researching and analyzing trends and opportunities in the digital music landscape, as well as evaluating potential investments across a broad set of companies in the digital media and entertainment sector.
THIS IS A TEMPORARY ASSIGNMENT
• Play a role in evaluating Sony Music's strategic direction by conducting rigorous industry research and analysis, monitoring ongoing developments in the digital music market and broader investment landscape, and preparing relevant analyses and strategic insight reports
• Coordinate with other teams and functions to gather, analyze, and synthesize findings on company data and market intelligence
• Support the Digital Strategy & Investments team to identify, research, and form investment cases for potential target investments aligned with the group’s strategic priorities, as well as review inbound investment opportunities
• Contribute to digital investment and acquisition deal processes, including conducting due diligence and supporting equity negotiations
• Prepare financial valuation models for a variety of companies in the digital media ecosystem, including assessing market size and growth, projecting company financials, benchmarking to comparables, scenario analysis, evaluating synergies, and determining rate of return
• Produce investment presentations and approval memos for senior management and board meetings
• This is a temporary assignment for 6 months with a possible permanent position.
• Exceptional Excel skills with strong financial analysis and valuation modelling abilities
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills with proficiency in PowerPoint and flair for presenting analysis clearly and creatively
• Exceptional research and data analysis capabilities
• 1-3 years of experience in a top-tier management consulting firm, investment bank, or comparable position in a digital media company preferred
• Passion for music and deep interest the digital media sector and tech investing
• Ability to provide accurate and timely results under tight schedules and while managing multiple priorities
• Proactive self-starter with agility to flex from high-level strategist and tactical thinker to practical implementation and day-to-day execution
• Entrepreneurial mindset, able to come up with creative inputs, suggestions, and solutions to a variety of business problems
• Adept at working with people at various levels/functions and enjoy both collaborative and self-directed projects
• 4-year undergraduate degree required
Sony Music is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.