Sony ImageworksVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
Intermediate Systems Engineer (Unix)
Primary areas of responsibility will include:
• Installation, deployment and maintenance of hardware, operating systems and software.
• Initiation of and participation in departmental and site-wide engineering projects.
• Specification, documentation and communication of requirements for engineering tasks across the enterprise.
• Technical assistance to a wide range of end users in a customer-service oriented organization.
• Mentoring to and advice on best practices for Systems Engineering personnel throughout the department.
• After hours, holiday and weekend support on-call 24/7 as scheduled in rotation with other engineers.
The successful candidate possesses:
• Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written. This includes the ability to provide thorough written documentation.
• Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to perform as an individual and on a team.
• Scripting and programming abilities that maximize efficiency in daily tasks.
• Self-guided triage and follow-through skills to best respond to assigned duties.
, Skills & Certifications:
• Degree in Computer Science or in a related field. Significant industry experience may be substituted.
• Four to six years experience in a large, high-performance technical computing site.
• Three years experience in installation, deployment and maintenance of Red Hat Enterprise Linux workstations and servers.
• Experience in supporting mission-critical systems to ensure high availability.
• Excellent working knowledge of Python, and the ability to write small C programs.
• Extensive networking experience with TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, LDAP and other directory services, used across local and wide-area/metro-area networks of varying topologies.
• Hands-on experience with large-scale backup solutions and storage technologies.
• Direct experience with multi-terabyte Netapp (or other) SAN installations is a plus.
Please note that there may not be any positions immediately open, but we are always accepting applications for potential positions.