Systems Engineer Associate
Sony ImageworksVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
Systems Engineer Associate - Quincy Data Center
Sony Pictures Imageworks, an industry leading Visual Effects and Animation studio located in Vancouver British Columbia, Canada and Culver City, CA, is seeking an Associate Systems Engineer to support our Quincy Washington Data Center. The job demands astute and critical thinking coupled with basic Mac/PC/Linux systems administration to support solutions in a unique industry that combines high performance computing with digital artistry and storytelling. You will support projects involving high performance computing technologies in the areas of large-scale systems administration and engineering including building, installing, deploying and supporting end-user workstations.
The Systems Department builds and supports a high performance global digital workflow for visual effects and animation production. This is a great opportunity to work on technically challenging projects in a creative work environment consisting of talented engineers and artists.
This position requires a self starter who can manage the daily rigours of projects and maintenance specific to data center operations while also seeking to make process and procedural improvements.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
• Build and deploy hardware and software systems
• Perform Systems responsibilities, such as, rebooting machines, hard
• drive replacements, hardware upgrades and system troubleshooting
• and repairs
• Oversee ongoing system maintenance and data center support projects
• Participate in departmental and site-specific engineering projects
• Remote hands assistance to technical management, project leads and various team members for specific installation, connectivity, troubleshooting and repair tasks
• Carry out duties following best practices specific to data center operations, inventory and support
• Basic troubleshooting of issues often found in large-scale networked Linux environments
• On-call 24x7 technical support
Candidates must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills with a technical background in systems administration and engineering, preferably with a focus on Windows/Mac/Linux operating systems. Project requirements are often dynamic and extremely fast paced and the ideal candidate is someone who can step out of their comfort zone and handle tasks beyond the scope of their expertise and responsibility. Versatility, resourcefulness, and adaptability are key characteristics to possess for this job.
• Previous experience in Data Center systems support
• College degree or equivalent post-high school education or experience.
• Computer Science background preferred but not required
• 2-3 years of PC/Mac/Linux related experience.
• Ability to configure workstation/server network interfaces.
• Previous experience in customer support, computer operations, system
• Familiarity with scripting languages
• Familiarity with media content creation applications is a plus