Sony ImageworksVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
Intermediate Software Engineer
The position requires strong software development skills, expertise in one or more programming languages, and the ability to design high quality, robust, and easy to maintain code and tools. The engineer is primarily responsible for development and implementation of production and studio tools under the guidance of a senior engineer or departmental lead. This position requires collaboration with other engineering staff, project managers, and production artists to develop and implement innovative studio capabilities.
• Experience programming in C/C and python
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
• Experience with UNIX / LINUX
• Ability to design and implement systems in a complex library
• Knowledge of user interface design and standard UI toolkits, specifically QT/PyQT.
• Proven ability to deliver high quality software in a fast paced, dynamic environment
• Understanding of large-scale digital production for Animation and Visual Effects.
• Understanding of computer graphics concepts and plugin development for DCC platforms.
• Understanding of file formats and data representations used in Animation and Visual Effects.
• 3-5 years of experience creating libraries, custom plug-ins and UI tools for Animation or Visual Effects.
Who we are:
The Dev Group acts as authors, collaborators and gatekeepers of the Imageworks pipeline and software. We work with productions to develop tools and technology that make our images great. Our engineering expertise spans the entire artist workflow, as well as the tools Imageworks uses to manage its assets and track it's productions. We have a variety of technical challenges and are looking for individuals from varying backgrounds and expertise to provide diverse voices for creative engineering solutions.
If you are interested in things like:
• Managing huge environments made up of thousands of assets, and determining how best to interact with them in a software package like Maya, with multiple departments modifying the scene simultaneously.
• Writing tools and Maya plugins for the creative manipulation of hair and cloth simulated elements.
• Integrating Houdini and Maya tools into our fx pipeline.
• GPU implementations for visualization of assets.
• Core technology growth in our Katana lighting tool, working closely with The Foundry's Katana engineers.
• Reducing the time to first pixel as well as finding efficiencies through more streamlined toolsets.
• Using new distributed databases to solve multi-facility, multi-master database problems.
• Managing and assigning hundreds of terabytes of storage efficiently relative to data type.
• Making the most efficient use of thousands of cores when very disparate jobs need to run on them simultaneously.
• Writing a distributed multi-site asset management system.
• Ongoing contributions to open source projects like OpenColorIO, OpenImageIO, OSL, Alembic, and more.
Please note that there may not be any positions immediately open, but we are always accepting applications for potential positions.