Software Engineer - Color Scientist
Sony ImageworksVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
The Color Scientist is responsible for the development and support of advanced color image processing technologies. This role works closely with our VFX and animated feature film productions. You will analyse and provide technologies that maintain the highest standards for color across our multi-site pipeline.
• Create color transforms utilizing a broad knowledge of color science fundamentals
• Evaluate image fidelity, including factors such as color, contrast, noise, grain, compression, etc.
• Interface with outside vendors (DI companies, film labs, clients, etc)
• Programming expertise specific to image processing, color processing, and color transform generation
• Strong problem solving skills (particularly focused on image processing pipelines)
• Strong communication skills (written, oral, and presentation)
• Excellent communication skills and clarity in presenting color pipeline concepts
• Ability to support and collaborate with multiple in-house and external clients
• Act in a leadership role for facility color pipeline initiatives as well as interfacing with the imaging and color science community.
• Expert understanding of color science principles
• Strong knowledge of HDR and high-resolution imaging, codecs and formats
• Strong knowledge of cinema cameras, onset color management, and DI workflows
• Strong knowledge of display device technologies and calibration
• Engaged with experts in industry initiatives like ACES, OpenColorIO, OpenEXR, ffmpeg, etc.
• 3 years of programming experience in a computer graphics / color science related role (Python / C preferred)
• Proven track record of color algorithm design and development for commercial products or projects
• Advanced degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field of study
• Color workflow design in a production vfx environment is a plus (managing color in DCCs like Nuke, Mari, Photoshop, Katana, etc.)