Production Services Technician
Sony ImageworksVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
Production Services Technician (PST)
The Production Services Technician (PST) position is a great opportunity for technical individuals with an interest in visual effects and animation to assist in the production of feature films in our Los Angeles office. This group is responsible for managing all data for a particular show, including file backup and retrieval, monitoring of renders and image processes, global data transfers and various troubleshooting tasks.
The PST position is often seen as a stepping stone into the rest of the facility since we have high exposure to all of the different departments during the course of a normal production. Since PSTs are quite intimate with the inner workings of the pipeline, we are prime candidates to move into other departments as well. We currently have PST alumni working in various areas of the company...producers, production managers, technical directors, systems, software, training, rigging, layout and more!
• Provide a consistent and professional level of departmental technical expertise and support to digital artists and the production teams
• Manage and maintain all production-related data, both online (disk) and offline (tape)
• Monitor, book, provide initial troubleshooting and see to completion, all renders in the queue
• Monitor critical servers, network and file server load as it affects our workflow
• Ingest media from vendors and clients to conform to facility standards for internal use
• Ensure consistent data transfer between company base and sister facilities
• Process and distribute deliverable media for daily and critical client reviews
• Prepare data for global exchange between third parties using various mediums
• Provide systems-related support such as monitor calibrations and software installs
• Implement and help to enforce standard naming conventions and working environments
• Actively find ways to improve operational efficiency of the department and the facility
• A Bachelor's degree in a technical field
• Solid Linux or UNIX Operating System experience
• Proven scripting skills (Shell or Python)
• Strong communication, troubleshooting and multitasking abilities.
• Past experiences in a leadership or managerial-type role and previous production experience preferred.
• Knowledge of various graphics applications a plus.