Intermediate Systems Engineer
Sony ImageworksVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
Sony Pictures Imageworks, an industry leading Animation studio located in Culver City Los Angeles, is seeking a Systems Engineer. Systems Engineering is responsible for first- and second-level support of 300 users in a dynamic, high-performance production environment. The job demands astute and critical thinking coupled with Windows and Linux systems engineering to develop solutions for a unique industry combining high performance computing with digital artistry and storytelling. You will participate in projects utilizing new technologies in the areas of large-scale systems administration and engineering including building, configuring, installing, deploying and supporting workstations, servers and large scale storage systems. We are building a high performance global digital workflow for animation production and this is a great opportunity to work on technically challenging projects in a very creative work environment comprised of talented engineers and artists.
Primary areas of responsibility will include:
• Installation, deployment and maintenance of hardware, operating systems and software
• Initiation of and participation in departmental and site-wide engineering projects.
• Specification, documentation and communication of requirements for engineering tasks across the enterprise.
• Technical assistance to a wide range of end users in a customer-service oriented organization.
• Mentoring and advising on best practices for Systems Engineering personnel throughout the department.
• After hours, holiday and weekend support on-call 24/7 as scheduled in rotation with other engineers.
The successful candidate possesses
• Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written. This includes the ability to provide thorough written documentation.
• Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to perform as an individual and on a team.
• Scripting and programming abilities that maximize efficiency in daily tasks.
• Self-guided triage and follow-through skills to best respond to assigned duties.
, Skills & Certifications:
• Degree in Computer Science or in a related field. Significant industry experience may be substituted.
• Four to six years experience in a large, high-performance technical computing site.
• Three years experience in installation, deployment and maintenance of Red Hat Enterprise Linux workstations and servers.
• Three years experience in installation, deployment and maintenance of Windows 10 workstations and servers (including AD)
• Experience in supporting mission-critical systems to ensure high availability.
• Excellent working knowledge of Python, and the ability to write small C programs.
• Extensive networking experience with TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, LDAP and other directory services, used across local and wide-area/metro-area networks of varying topologies.
• Hands-on experience with large-scale backup solutions and storage technologies.
• Direct experience with multi-terabyte Netapp (or other) NAS installations is a plus.
Sony Pictures Imageworks is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.