Senior Environment Artist
Sony ImageworksVancouver, BC
This was removed by the employer on 8/31/2023 3:32:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Animation/Graphic Design/Visual FX Category
Browse the Crew Category
Browse the Post Production Category
Search for Senior Environment Artist jobs in Vancouver-BC
Search all Senior Environment Artist postings
Full Time Job
Sony Pictures Imageworks is located on the unceded traditional territory of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations. We are committed to respecting traditional lands, and working with communities towards reconciliation.
Language in work environment - English
Benefits per company policy: include healthcare, tuition reimbursement, RRSP's, Sick and Vacation leave, standard increases as applicable
Sony Pictures Imageworks is looking for a Senior Environment Artist to join our growing Environments team at our Vancouver studio!
As an Environment Artist, you will use a flexible generalist workflow to create highly detailed 3D environments for a diverse range of high-end VFX and Animated projects.
• Collaborate with the Environments Lead and Supervisor to achieve the creative vision of the client and the technical requirements of the Show.
• Collaborate with other artists and TDs to create complete, render-ready 3D environment assets for downstream consumption by lighting teams.
• Work with matte painters to integrate rendered 2.5d backgrounds/set extensions with your 3D environments.
• Help establish standard processes and follow them, providing an example for the rest of the team.
• Participate in team reviews, contributing your creative and technical insights where appropriate for the benefit of the team.
• Contribute to the testing of Environments tools, pipelines and workflows.
• Participate in show post-mortems, and work to carry over the solutions identified in them to future projects.
• Model and champion a culture of professional excellence based on trust, candour and respect.
• Help encourage and motivate the team.
• Actively support the professional growth of your peer artists by participating in mentoring, training and other initiatives.
• Develop collegial partnerships with peer artists to find solutions and compromises for technical and creative challenges.
• Bachelor's degree or higher in Art, Illustration, Architecture, Design, Computer Graphics, or equivalent.
• 5 years of proven experience in vfx or animated feature films.
• Good understanding of fundamental visual principles, including perspective, composition, form, value, and colour.
• Skill and experience in a broad mix of the following areas is desired:
- Traditional drawing, painting, design and/or sculpture
- Concept design
- Modeling & UVing (esp. hard surface, landscape & foliage)
- Texture painting and mapping
- Look development and shading
- Dressing & scattering of 3d environments
• Production experience in the use of Houdini as an environment generalist is essential.
• Basic familiarity with VEX & HScript needed.
• Hands-on production experience with a broad mix of applications applications is desired:
-Maya, Max, Modo or similar
-Gaea, Terragen, World Machine or similar
-ZBrush, Mudbox or similar
-Substance Painter or Mari
-Shotgrid or similar
• Highly organized, able to efficiently handle your own workload with minimal
• A proactive problem-solver, addressing roadblocks as they occur.
• A good communicator, able to interpret creative notes reliably and engage in productive discussions with peers and leadership.
• Willing to freely contribute your expertise and experience to help your peers.
• Always learning new skills and techniques.
• A natural collaborator, proactively contacting other artists to find solutions.
• Calm under pressure, setting an example to the rest of your team.
Please note that you must be able to provide a demo reel that illustrates your relevant artistic and technical experience that also includes the nuances for this specific role.
We value unique perspectives, and want diverse, unique talent to work with us. We encourage candidates from all identities to apply.
Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics