Sony ImageworksVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
Sony Pictures Imageworks is located on the unceded traditional territory of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations. We are committed to respecting traditional lands, and working with communities towards reconciliation.
Project based, Full Time
Language in work environment - English
Benefits per company policy: include healthcare, tuition reimbursement, RRSP's, Sick and Vacation leave, standard increases as applicable
The Artist Manager is responsible and accountable for the management of a group or department of 200 plus digital artists. Management duties include but are not limited to assessing artist skills, and building a robust department, which allows for flexible growth. Each department will consist of a combination of core talent, rehires and new hires. Artist Manager's will work closely with digital producer's to identify the strongest combination of talent for their particular project, while balancing the needs of all projects. Artist Managers's will partner with recruiting managers to assure they are given ample time to source and recruit for anticipated crew openings. They will work proactively with training and artist development to make sure artists have been provided sufficient training to succeed in their current roles. They will provide timely performance feedback to identified artists and recommend compensation increases, promotions, bonuses, contract terms and strategies for talent retention. Maintains required interaction with production, artists, other department managers, as well as recruiting and training. Strategizes with VP Artist Management to advance organization as SPI business evolves.
Planning/ Needs Analysis
• Build strong individual departments with a variety of skill levels, which will allow for successful flexible growth.
• Proactively identify and plan for headcount increases and decreases within the department and maintain relationships with external talent (re-hires).
• Successfully interface with Producers with respect to managing the crewing of artists to productions
• Work with Feature Production, Development Group, Marketing, Training, etc. to manage artist gaps between shows.
• Develop and implement creative solutions to allocate and leverage artist expertise where most needed across productions
• Help develop and initiate artist roll off plans at end of production and minimize artist wait mode
• Negotiate contracts and crewing assignments in alignment with artist, facility and production goals
• Oversee contract terms/negotiations within your assigned department
• Provide actionable feedback and development opportunities for identified artist
Artist Development & Training
• Partner with P&O to provide solutions for increased artist engagement and morale
• Participate in show kick offs, weekly artist casting sessions as well as post mortems.
• Solicits Artist performance feedback on a regular basis from producers and artist supervisors.
• Mentors Assoc. Dept. Managers
• Identify and cultivate key and up-and-coming talent
• Recommend annual bonuses for eligible artists, recommend artists for promotions, raises, etc.
Cross Functional Collaboration
• Interact and build successful relationships with key internal stakeholders (Sr. Mgmt, Feature Production, Artist Recruiting, People & Organization, Finance and SPE legal department).
• Works with recruiting to expand IPAX relationships and recommends ''GAP'' artists for external programs when required
Experience: 8 Years with at least 5 years of management experience. Must have experience and working knowledge of CG Animation and Visual Effects pipeline.
• Must have working knowledge of artist roles within CG Animated and Visual Effects studio
• Must have working knowledge of timelines for crewing CG Animated and Visual Effects productions.
• Must have working knowledge of how show / crewing budgets are created and managed
• Must have experience negotiating artists contracts
• Must have knowledge of CG pipelines
• Knowledge of competitive employee compensation
• Strong negotiation and diplomacy skills
• Experience with overseeing a large group of artists
• Strong written, verbal and presentation skills with clear attention to detail
• Knowledge and experience working with crewing databases required.
• Ability to deal with ambiguity
• Developing and encouraging collaborative partnerships across departments
• Proven track record of being able to work and communicate effectively with artists