Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs
Skybound EntertainmentBeverly Hills, CA
Full Time Job
Job Title: Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs
We are looking to bring on a talented attorney in the role of Counsel, who will be instrumental in handling the wide variety of day-to-day entertainment and commercial agreements for the company. This is a brand-new role in a growing department, so the work is broad and there is a lot of room to grow. This role is for someone who is excited to take on big challenges and find creative solutions.
Reports: This position will report directly to the SVP, Business & Legal Affairs and is responsible for supporting the various needs of that department.
Responsibilities: Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• structuring, drafting, negotiating and managing a wide range of television and film development and production agreements such as: option purchase agreements, writer agreements, producer agreements, production services agreements, co-pro agreements, above-the-line talent agreements and other related agreements;
• structuring, drafting, negotiating and managing complex and often first-of-kind commercial contracts relating to publishing, merchandise, interactive entertainment, podcasts, digital content, promotional partnerships and more;
• evaluating rights issues, confirming chain of title and handling clearance matters and guild issues;
• leading the maintenance of the corporate books and records for multiple entities, including entity formation/dissolutions, board and shareholder resolutions and other corporate maintenance items;
• regularly advising on advertising, promotional, trademark, data privacy and other intellectual property issues;
• serving as day-to-day legal liaison to implement and administer standard operating procedures for the business and legal affairs function for the company, including routinely advising and consulting with company executives and outside counsel;
• advising on employment matters from time to time; and
• handling other matters as needed at the direction of the SVP, Business & Legal Affairs
• Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school and membership in at least one state bar with all admissions being in good standing is required. California bar preferred.
• 4+ years of transactional legal experience (with a combination of corporate law experience from a big law firm and entertainment experience at a studio, production company, or an entertainment and media law firm)
• Television studio and/or production company experience required
• Basic knowledge of AFTRA/SAG, DGA and WGA rules
• Strong, independent drafting, negotiating, writing as well as the ability to problem solve in a business-friendly, creative manner with little oversight
• Must be organized, detail oriented with sound judgment, superior interpersonal skills and interact well with all levels of personnel
• High proficiency with Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and internet software
• Strong communication skills both written and oral
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interface with colleagues and senior management
• Extremely organized and detail oriented with the ability to manage confidential, high priority projects
• Ability to multi-task
• Flexibility (things move fast here)
• Sense of humor (because life is too short)
Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV to be considered.
Skybound Entertainment is a multiplatform content company that world-builds across mediums including comics, television, film, tabletop and video games, books, and more. The company works closely with creators to bring their stories to a wider audience, while ensuring creators can maintain intellectual property rights and creative control. Skybound is the home of notable properties including The Walking Dead, Invincible, and Super Dinosaur. On screen, Skybound holds a first-look television deal with Amazon Studios and a first-look movie deal with Universal.
Also under the Skybound Entertainment umbrella is Skybound Games, the home of tabletop and videogames alike; an upcoming mobile narrative gaming venture in conjunction with Europe's leading entertainment company Sky; GammaRay, a video-content brand focused on pop culture and presented by Skybound; and Skybound North, Skybound's Canadian sister company. Skybound is also a partner in Skybound Galactic, a television studio with the capabilities to finance the development and production of scripted series.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Skybound we value diversity and are looking for extraordinary employees of all backgrounds! Skybound is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, citizenship, age, genetic information, disability, hair texture or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, Skybound complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination.
Skybound will consider applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the CA Fair Chance Act and Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.