Associate Art Director
Simon & SchusterNew York, NY
This was removed by the employer on 3/2/2023 5:59:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Animation/Graphic Design/Visual FX Category
Search for Associate Art Director jobs in New York-NY
Search all Associate Art Director postings
Full Time Job
Simon & Schuster has been named to Forbes magazine list of â€œAmericaâ€™s Best Mid-Size Employers 2022.â€
Simon & Schuster is a global leader in general interest publishing, dedicated to providing the best in fiction and nonfiction for readers of all ages, and in all printed, digital and audio formats. Its distinguished roster of authors includes many of the worldâ€™s most popular and widely recognized writers, and winners of the most prestigious literary honors and awards. It is home to numerous well-known imprints and divisions such as Simon & Schuster, Scribner, Atria Books, Gallery Books, Pocket Books, Adams Media, Simon & Schuster Childrenâ€™s Publishing and Simon & Schuster Audio and international companies in Australia, Canada, India and the United Kingdom, and proudly brings the works of its authors to readers in more than 200 countries and territories.
For more information visit our website at www.simonandschuster.com.
Simon & Schuster is seeking an Associate Art Director to design and layout nonfiction 4 color illustrated books (cookbooks, lifestyle) in the adult division. This person will be involved in, on average, 15-20 high end 4 color projects each year.
• Designing and laying out an average of 4 4C illustrated books a season
• Assisting the AD in overseeing freelancers who will be designing the remainder
• Assisting the AD in providing direction and management for photoshoots when applicable
• Color proofing their pages
• Working with the AD on jackets
An ideal candidate:
• Is an Adobe InDesign expert and book design enthusiast
• Is a talented designer with experience designing covers and interiors for non fiction 4 color projects in cooking and lifestyle.
• A sharp eye and excellent execution skills in typography, color, and layout
• Is able to work at all levels, from inputting corrections to building well-structured InDesign files for their own original designs
• Understands how their composition work impacts downstream processes, including ebook production and future print editions
• Will work collaboratively with Design Director and Creative Director to ensure the interior and cover complement each other.
• Will work collaboratively with Production Editorial to ensure the manuscript and InDesign document are coded complementarily and coding best practices are applied rigorously from manuscript to finished InDesign files
• Understands book production and printing standards
• Will work with outside freelancers to oversee their work. Assist the creative director in overseeing photo shoots.
• 3 years of layout experience in Adobe InDesign; expert in InDesign
• 3 year or more of experience designing original book interiors and covers
• Solid understanding of book composition standards
• Ability to read and implement proofreaderâ€™s marks
• Experience manipulating illustrations and photos in Photoshop
• Experience creating and manipulating vector art in Illustrator
The annual salary for this position is $85,000.00 - 94,000.00
The hiring salary range for this position applies to New York City, California, Colorado, Washington state, and most other geographies. Starting pay for the successful applicant depends on a variety of job-related factors, including but not limited to geographic location, market demands, experience, training, and education. The benefits available for this position include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, life insurance coverage, disability benefits, tuition assistance program and PTO or, if applicable, as otherwise dictated by the appropriate Collective Bargaining Agreement.