Scanline VFXVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
The Pipeline Supervisor works with studio wide departments providing stewardship for 2D and 3D projects (Nuke, Maya Max) and overall leadership to the Pipeline team. Partnering with the Pipeline Department Manager, the Pipeline Supervisor, has a solid understanding of Project Management best practices in software development including: requirements gathering, planning, scope, risk, dependencies, re-assessment, metrics and reporting. The Pipeline Supervisor’s perspective is high level and forward thinking but also able to provide direction for day-to-day studio pipeline matters, managing inter-departmental expectations while balancing priorities. Solid experience leading change management, ensuring quality assurance standards and post-project reviews for ongoing improvement is required.
• Holds vision of the company Pipeline team’s role, standards, service agreements and provides guidance and leadership through change management.
• Works with Pipeline leadership, and studio leadership including Production, CG Supervisors and Leads to determine requirements for current and upcoming shows; advises on implementation and potential solutions.
• Leads studio wide feature implementation collaboratively and strategically while balancing overall company technical strategies.
• Gathers requirements across large collaboration efforts that span multiple departments and/or disciplines.
• Leverages team expertise and current technology research and development trends to innovate and advance Scanline’s technologies; interfaces with Sups/Leads for ongoing improvements.
• Oversees technical briefs and code review standards: set standards and ensure best practices.
• Drives overall Pipeline information collection, documentation and knowledge transfer process: eg. Provides demos and tutorials for artists and other TDs.
• Completes performance reviews of team and provides recommendations for education and training for ongoing skill development.
• Participates in daily scrum meetings and regularly scheduled department and production meetings.
• Participates in recruiting; resume reviews, interviews, evaluations, job descriptions, etc.
• Partners with Pipeline Management team to identify priorities and schedule tasks
• Mentors pipeline team members; advise, guide and grow others.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
• BA in Computer Science, or similar discipline (required)
• 7 years’ experience in VFX software development (Feature Films preferred)
• 2 years in Supervisor position (required)
• Demonstrated advanced work experience with Nuke, 3Ds Max, Maya, C/C and Python
• Experienced with planning large projects and forecasting show requirements
• Experienced with team leadership; mentoring and performance management/development
• Ability to understand situations quickly and shift priorities as needed
• Negotiation skills: “buy in” from stakeholders, understand when to engage and when to pivot
• Flexible and agile to rapid shifting schedules, targets and goals
• Self-directed, proactive, detailed, organized and solution oriented
• Experienced with runtime rendering APIs, like DirectX or OpenGL (preferred)
• Experienced with user interface design in QT/PyQT
• Experienced with V-Ray, Thinking Particles, or Fume FX (preferred)
• Experienced working w/pipelines in Windows (required)
• Experience with meshes, transforms, joints and dynamic simulations
• Understanding of scheduling, task estimates and capacity planning
• Strong written & verbal communication skills