Lead Matte Painter
Scanline VFXLondon, UK
Full Time Job
Scanline VFX is an award-winning visual effects studio, with locations in Vancouver, Montreal, Los Angeles, London, Seoul, Munich, and Stuttgart. Attracting talent from around the world, current work includes Aquaman: The Lost Kingdom, The Flash, and Stanger Things Season 4.
Come and join an innovative and collaborative team and be challenged to do the best work of your career alongside some of the best talent from around the globe.
We currently offer offer hybrid, on-site and remote work opportunities.
Reporting to the Environment Supervisor, the Lead Matte Painter creates photorealistic 2D and 3D matte paintings of subject matter to be used as an element to either embellish or replace live-action footage in feature films.
• Creates photorealistic paintings and elements that match concept and style using 2D and 3D tools and techniques including camera setup, modeling for projection, camera animation, projection setup, image re-projection, and atmospherics/ light passes
• Provides or acquires photographic reference materials
• Combines photographic, paint, and 3d assets to conceptualize, create and design environments using techniques such as camera animation, image projection, layering, and lighting
• Performs tasks related to integrating imagery into shots, preserving a unified sense of lighting, perspective, and color
• Combines painting skills in animation software, with a knowledge of photography, practical and digital modeling, and design, to create 2D and 3D paintings
• Works closely with the Department Supervisor, VFX Supervisors, and CG Supervisors to determine the best methods to complete work in a timely manner and ensures that plates meet planned concept design requirements
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• Minimum five (5) years of experience as a DMP artist for live-action (realistic) feature films required
• Expert knowledge of Photoshop, Maya, and Nuke required
• Knowledge of other tools such as Mari, Max, Houdini, Forest Pack, Speed Tree, Terragen, Clarisse, and Substance (a plus)
• Experience and/or working knowledge of modeling, texturing, composting (preferred)
• Advanced knowledge of DMP techniques and/or technical experience in photography/lighting with an emphasis on color and composition; traditional art background a plus
• The ideal candidate must be able to multitask, be self-motivated, proactive, and manage all aspects on an environment and sequence level
• Responsive to guidance and review notes from creative and technical leadership – able to apply feedback to achieve the required look
• Team player and able to work independently with minimal supervision
• Strong troubleshooting/ problem-solving skills