Scanline VFXVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
Scanline VFX is an award-winning visual effects studio, fully owned by Netflix, with locations in Vancouver, Montreal, Los Angeles, London, Seoul, Munich and Stuttgart.
Attracting talent from around the world, Scanline & Eyeline Studios, its virtual production division, harnesses the latest cutting-edge tools and techniques, combined with world-class artistry, to create VFX for both theatrical and episodic projects.
Come and join an innovative and collaborative team and be challenged to do the best work of your career!
We currently offer hybrid, on-site and remote work opportunities.
The Layout Artist is responsible for the story-telling, shot sequence continuity, and presentation as part of the VFX pipeline for feature film and/or high-level television. Utilizing assets from the modeling department and/or camera track from the matchmove department, they create a rough pass of the shot as a whole as well as packages necessary components for use in later departments. While camera animation and composition is the main objective, a Layout Artist may be required to create simple animation, lighting, and FX in order to convey key story points.
• Creates visually striking composition based on the shot description and/or storyboard
• Matches references such as previs and/or images
• Supplement shots with simple but convincing animation, lighting, and FX to aid story-telling
• Stitches plate-based shots into a full CG environment and vice versa
• Assembles the correct combination of assets in a shot for use in downstream departments
• Includes proof of scale and continuity in a virtual layout set up
• Debugs technical problems and escalate issues as needed
• Takes directions and applies notes from supervisors
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• Three (3) to five (5) years of layout experience in visual effects for feature film or television (required)
• Bachelor's degree or Diploma in the field of arts, film, and/or animation (preferred)
• Advanced software skills in Maya (required)
• Basic to Intermediate skills in 3ds Max, Photoshop, Shotgun, Nuke, and Scripting (preferred)
• Extensive skillset in-camera animation, staging, and set dressing
• Great sense of presentation via lighting, texturing, and/or FX
• Solid animation grounding for story-telling purposes
• Background or experience in traditional Fine Arts demonstrating a thorough understanding of framing and composition
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; a team player with a great attitude
• Great eye for detail with excellent and consistent quality assurance
• Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
We offer extended medical, disability and dental insurance.