Creature / Character Modeler
Scanline VFXMontreal, QC
Full Time Job
Scanline VFX is an award-winning visual effects studio, with locations in Vancouver, Montreal, Los Angeles, London, Seoul, Munich, and Stuttgart. Attracting talent from around the world, current work includes Aquaman: The Lost Kingdom, The Flash, and Stanger Things Season 4.
Come and join an innovative and collaborative team and be challenged to do the best work of your career alongside some of the best talent from around the globe.
Reporting to the Modeling Supervisor, the Creature Modeler will execute digital sculpting and poly modeling tasks for creating organic creatures and characters to be used in production with an emphasis on anatomy, photorealism, accuracy, detail, and function. Working within the in-house modeling pipeline in close collaboration with the creature TD and rigging departments, the Modeler is able to solve technical issues independently.
• Creates high-quality models and UVs for use in production; implement improvements/changes based on review feedback and Supervisor/Lead direction
• Creates creature/character blocking concepts in 3D as needed.
• Designs and implements high level conceptual to practical modeling
• Proactively recommends ongoing pipeline improvements; Identifies potential issues and provides solutions, and escalates as needed
• Maintains a positive relationship with all stakeholder departments; attends meetings as needed
• Works within the defined pipeline
• Ensures continuity and support other asset departments such as texture, lookdev, Generalists, and rigging
• Completes assigned tasks in a timely manner
QUALIFICIATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• Minimum three (3) years of VFX experience modeling photorealistic assets for live-action feature films
• Excellent knowledge of animal and human anatomy
• Strong creative eye for organic form, function, and aesthetics
• Expert in Maya; could teach a class on how to use it and troubleshoot
• Excellent knowledge of Zbrush and/or Mudbox. Mari knowledge (a plus)
• Excellent technical troubleshooting skills and problem-solving abilities
• Demonstrated ability to take a design from ambiguous to full design implementation
• Strong understanding of rigging process and displacement map workflow
• Experience working on creatures, digi doubles, topology and blend shapes (preferred)
• Eye for detail and able to QC own work to ensure the highest quality before handing off assets
• Excellent time management and prioritization skills; experience working under tight deadlines
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Team player who is able to work independently with minimal supervision
We offer extended medical, disability and dental insurance.