Senior Content Writer
SAG-AFTRALos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Senior Content Writer (Communications & Marketing)
Who We Are
SAG-AFTRA is the iconic American labor union that represents approximately 160,000 media professionals. SAG-AFTRA employees support our members and thrive on securing the strongest protections by negotiating the best wages, working conditions, and health and pension benefits. We preserve and expand members’ work opportunities, vigorously enforce our contracts and protect our members against unauthorized use of their work.
What You’ll Do
As Senior Writer, you will play a critical role in capturing and amplifying the voices of SAG-AFTRA’s leadership team, developing, writing and editing communications materials supporting SAG-AFTRA’s overall mission.
(This section provides a general summary of the most significant job duties performed. It does not explain in detail every single duty performed.)
• Deliver high-quality, senior-level executive communications, including the drafting of leadership speeches, membership messages, letters, op/eds, remarks, event and video scripts, talking points, presentations, feature stories and other written materials.
• Become an internal and external expert on messaging, branding, voice and tone. Assist in positioning and messaging across SAG-AFTRA communications, effectively weaving SAG-AFTRA’s accomplishments, strategies and business goals into meaningful messaging and narratives.
• Detail-oriented AP Style copyediting and fact-checking.
• Conduct interviews in person, online or by phone to gather information and research for content.
• Manage multiple and sometimes competing deliverables and deadlines efficiently.
• Additional writing assignments will include drafting of press materials, website/publication content, event and marketing campaign materials, and social media content.
• Create content workflows with subject matter experts, track and manage progress of content work streams and approvals, escalating for prioritization when needed.
• Undertake special projects and assignments and other duties as assigned.
What You’ll Need
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
(The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.)
What You’ll Need
We want to make sure you’re successful. To be considered, you must have:
Communications & Marketing
• Skilled and graceful writer, comfortable working in a corporate environment and also collaboratively with top executives.
• Proven ability to ghost write for various executives and leaders, many of whom have different voices and tones.
• Strong track record of producing high-quality, effective communications materials, including talking points, speeches, letters, articles and presentations for senior executives (writing samples will be required).
• Excellent writing and copyediting (AP Style) skills required utilizing Google Workspace.
• Excellent presentation and communication skills.
• Familiarity of GoogleSlides a plus.
• Experience/familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud a plus.
• Ability to manage and navigate an environment of multiple approvals and revisions.
• Superlative interpersonal skills and high degree of patience and tact that enables effective relationships with senior executives and elected union leaders in the execution of job responsibilities. Must be able to cultivate respectful, strategic and collaborative relationships with people from diverse backgrounds both internally and externally.
• Have an understanding and awareness of the importance of labor unions, social justice and worker rights impacting SAG-AFTRA members.
• Have a high sense of ownership and hold yourself and others accountable for a high level of performance and integrity.
• Must exhibit high attention to detail and fact-checking. Deadline driven with the ability to focus and produce results in a fast-paced environment, under tight deadlines without constant supervision.
• Must be available and willing to work extended hours per day or per week (and/or overtime for applicable non-exempt positions), including weekends and holidays, as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary to meet its business needs.
• Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and be proactive, as well as work effectively in a team and across functional groups.
• Strong organizational and project management skills with ability to stay on a determined timeline, while managing multiple projects simultaneously.
• Must be confident, reliable, energetic with a positive attitude, accept responsibility, and handle pressure well.
• Capable of taking direction from more than one supervisor; flexibility and adaptability to changes in workload and differing work styles of direct supervisors.
• Must be able to work in a challenging environment where constructive feedback from others is encouraged.
• Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined by SAG-AFTRA’s attendance policy.
• Must be available and willing to travel occasionally to such locations and with such frequency as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
• Ability to initiate and promote process improvement.
• Quick learner, flexible, highly adaptable, independent problem-solving and critical-thinking abilities.
• Motivated and knowledgeable, with the ability to work in an environment where the team is small, geographically diverse and subject to sudden and frequent changes in priorities.
In addition, we will assess the following competencies as part of the candidate evaluation process.
• Cultural Awareness
• Integrity and Trust
• Time Management
• BA/BS degree in English, Journalism, Public Relations or related communications field.
• Minimum of 4 years of speechwriting experience, including for C-suite executives.
• Minimum of 4 years of experience in journalism, editing, AP Style, (business background a plus).
• Entertainment/media industry and/or labor union experience a plus.
• Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
Please provide a cover letter and attach or provide links to writing and website samples.
Certificates, licenses, and/or registrations:
What You’ll Get
We are a great place to work because we offer:
• Colleagues that are passionate about what we do and how they contribute to our mission
• Balance between work and home life responsibilities
• LA hybrid preferred, remote may be possible.
• Affordable and comprehensive medical and dental plans
• Generous pension plan
• Employee discounts and perks