SAG-AFTRALos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
What You’ll Do
The Organizer will implement major internal and external organizing campaigns for the Union.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
(This section provides a general summary of the most significant job duties performed. It does not explain in detail every single duty performed.)
• Plan and execute campaign timetables.
• Recruit new member activists and prospective member leaders.
• Develop and mobilize organizing committees; cultivate relationships with community and political allies.
• Provide vision and leadership to member organizers and staff through training and supervision.
• Work with national and local staff and members in conjunction with all research, communications, political, and legal aspects of the campaign.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
What You’ll Need
We want to make sure you’re successful. To be considered, you must have:
(The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.)
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
• Must be a self-starter with significant project management skills and ability to multi-task.
• Ability to think strategically and respond to rapidly changing situations.
• Demonstrated experience and success at developing, implementing and leading large strategic organizing campaigns.
• Knowledge of and experience with union organizing practices, principles and labor laws.
• Sensitivity to political nuances within a labor organization.
• Knowledge of SAG-AFTRA contracts a plus.
• Dedicated to worker’s rights and social justice.
• Knowledge of the entertainment, broadcasting, and/or sound recording industries, as well as issues affecting creative artists and professional workers strongly preferred.
• Must be proficient in PC applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) with a strong working knowledge of database programs and the ability to develop an organizing database.
• Fluency in Spanish preferred.
• Superlative interpersonal skills: high degree of patience and tact. Must be able to cultivate respectful, strategic and collaborative relationships with people from diverse backgrounds both internally and externally.
• Hold yourself and others accountable for a high level of performance and integrity.
• Must be able to work in a challenging environment where constructive feedback from others is encouraged.
• Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined at SAG-AFTRA-AFTRA’s sole discretion.
• Must be available and willing to work extended hours (and/or overtime for applicable non- exempt positions) per day or per week, including weekends and holidays, as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary to meet its business needs.
• Must be available and willing to travel to such locations and with such frequency as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
• Undergraduate degree in Labor Studies or related field.
• Minimum 0-2 years of experience in union organizing and/or campaign driven work.
Certificates, licenses, and/or registrations:
• Must have a current driver license, automobile (in reliable working condition)
• Possess current automobile insurance that meets state minimum requirements
What You’ll Get
We are a great place to work because we offer:
• Colleagues that are passionate about what we do and how they contribute to our mission
• Balance between work and home life responsibilities
• Affordable and comprehensive medical and dental plans
• Generous pension plan
• Employee discounts and perks
Who We Are
SAG-AFTRA is the iconic American labor union that represents approximately 160,000 media professionals. SAG-AFTRA employees support our members and thrive on securing the strongest protections by negotiating the best wages, working conditions, health and pension benefits. We preserve and expand members’ work opportunities, vigorously enforce our contracts and protect our members against unauthorized use of their work.