Manager, Strategic Initiatives
Full Time Job
What You’ll Do
The Manager, Strategic Initiatives is responsible for developing and participating in initiatives and projects that have strategic value to the organizing and enforcement of SAG-AFTRA contracts and/or the performers who work under them, with a particular focus on new platforms, technologies, and work areas. The Manager, Strategic Initiatives will identify potentially impactful industry shifts, build crucial solidarity among performers, and develop and maintain strong relationships throughout the entertainment and advertising industries, with the goal of retaining and expanding work opportunities for SAG-AFTRA members.
(This section provides a general summary of the most significant job duties performed. It does not explain in detail every single duty performed.)
• With the Senior Director, Strategic Initiatives, identify strategically valuable initiatives, develop and implement action plans to exploit opportunities and effectively address challenges.
• Working with the Commercials Department, support and advance the #AdsGoUnion initiative, SAG-AFTRA’s ongoing Commercial organizing campaign.
• Administer and promote SAG-AFTRA’s Influencer Agreement in coordination with the Commercials Department.
• Train staff and appropriate member leaders and activists across the country on outreach, community building and effective messaging.
• Create educational and promotional content in coordination with the Senior Director and other departments, as necessary.
• Develop strong relationships with member and non-member performers and content creators, activate and engage performers in activities and support of campaigns.
• Create beneficial relationships with employers, talent representatives, trade organizations, production entities, influencer marketing companies, and other industry players.
• Investigate new technologies and industry trends and evaluate their potential impact on the entertainment and advertising industries, SAG-AFTRA, and performers.
• Take on special projects and additional duties, as assigned.
What You’ll Need
We want to make sure you’re successful. To be considered, you must have:
(The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.)
• Significant experience with organizing, community building, project development and management, and knowledge of organizing techniques.
• A team player with exceptional interpersonal skills: high degree of patience and tact; ability to cultivate respectful, strategic and collaborative relationships with people from diverse backgrounds, both internally and externally.
• Understanding and awareness of worker rights impacting SAG-AFTRA members.
• Forward looking, creative problem solver with strong research and analytical skills.
• Understanding of the entertainment and advertising industries. Previous experience in these industries is a plus, particularly in the branded content and influencer/social media marketing arenas.
• Able to clearly and effectively articulate key messages to colleagues, performers, and industry professionals, both “one on one” and with large groups, verbally and in writing.
• Able to prioritize and coordinate multiple tasks under short and long-term deadlines.
• Capable of working independently with minimal supervision, with strong follow-through skills.
• Available and willing to travel to such locations and with such frequency as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary.
• Proficient in Google Suite (Docs, Sheets and Slides).
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
• A minimum of 5 years of experience in community organizing, union organizing and/or campaign management.
• Knowledge of the entertainment and advertising industries, previous experience with performers, content creators and/or other media professionals is highly desired.
What You’ll Get
We are a great place to work because we offer:
• Colleagues that are passionate about what we do and how they contribute to our mission
• Balance between work and home life responsibilities
• Affordable and comprehensive medical and dental plans
• Generous pension plan
• Employee discounts and perks