SAG-AFTRALos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Governance Coordinator (Governance)
What You’ll Do
This position will coordinate governance activities related to Union meetings, Committee records, elections and voting. Position will coordinate election procedures, information and materials for National, Local and Convention elections to ensure uniformity in administration as well as provide support to election-related committees and other committees as needed. Coordinates meeting event planning including social mixers for large groups in person or by video conference for National Board and EC meetings (location/room set-up, participant and traveler lists, food, materials, etc.). Ensures proper application of SAG-AFTRA Constitution, Local Constitutions and Local Rules of Procedure and election related policies as established by the Board. The coordinator is responsible for developing, maintaining, and updating elections records and archiving election documents. Maintains and updates election related lists as well as other databases of Governance-related information, including highly confidential and sensitive material. The coordinator also researches, confirms and creates reports regarding compliance with union election rules and procedures. Researches election related issues.
(This section provides a general summary of the most significant job duties performed. It does not explain in detail every single duty performed.)
• Staff support to election-related and other committees (Preparation of meeting notices, materials, minutes, candidate reports, ballots and brochures).
• Responsible for preparing invoices for review and payment for elections, contract referenda and meeting related events.
• Prepare distribution and organization of candidate information materials (Candidate nominating petition packets and online nominating materials).
• Orient candidates through nominating election processes (online and paper format).
• Receive and track candidate submissions.
• Ensure candidate eligibility for all elected positions nationwide. Requires analysis of each position and local in determining preliminary eligibility and tracking decisions made by election committees.
• Prepare, distribute and archive election correspondence for eligibility requirements.
• Coordinate and prepare candidate submissions for Election Committee review for National Officer, Los Angeles Local and Convention elections; also coordinates with appropriate New York Local and other Local Staff for Local elections.
• Coordinate internal elections and assist with teller committee activities at National and Local Board meetings. Coordinate operations and support staff at ballot tally or virtual voting site.
• Maintain national election records and master election schedule/calendar. Provides additional support with the master calendar and committee schedules and the maintenance of committee lists, records and databases.
• Maintain and prepare Electronic Voting System for use at meetings including candidate elections.
• Conduct telephone/email polls for National Board and Executive Committee and prepare results report.
• Assist in research requests, election related issues and prepare memos for information related to resolutions, policies, precedents, procedures and past practice.
• Provide templates and guidance to Local Staff for Local Board telephone/email polls.
• Develop, maintain and update database of governance related information.
• Interpret Board documents and policy.
• Perform other department duties as assigned or as the situation dictates.
What You’ll Need
We want to make sure you’re successful. To be considered, you must have:
(The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.)
• Able to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
• Able to prioritize tasks and follow-up with little or no supervision.
• Able to be courteous and responsive to all member inquiries.
• Able to use PC applications.
• Diplomacy and discretion (confidentiality) .
• Detail oriented.
• Able to organize and coordinate multiple tasks under daily deadlines.
• Able to work under pressure.
• Able to accurately type 35 WPM.
• Superlative interpersonal skills: high degree of patience and tact. Must be able to cultivate respectful, strategic and collaborative relationships with people from diverse backgrounds both internally and externally.
• Dedication to workers’ rights and social justice.
• Have an understanding and awareness of worker rights impacting SAG-AFTRA members.
• Hold yourself and others accountable for a high level of performance and integrity.
• Must be able to work in a challenging environment where constructive feedback from others is encouraged.
• Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined at SAG-AFTRA’s sole discretion.
• Must be available and willing to work overtime per day or per week, including weekends and holidays, as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary to meet its business needs (schedule flexibility).
• Must be available to work and willing to travel to offsite locations with such frequency as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
• Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university plus 2 years relevant experience; or 6 years combination of education and relevant experience
• Experience with administration of election processes preferred.
• Experience with board or committee meetings preferred.
Certificates, licenses, and/or registrations:
• Basic skills- math, spelling, grammar and filing – passing score: 76%
• Typing test (35wpm)
• Word and Excel (basic, intermediate and advanced) – passing score: 76%
What You’ll Get
We are a great place to work because we offer:
• Colleagues that are passionate about what we do and how they contribute to our mission
• Balance between work and home life responsibilities
• Affordable and comprehensive medical and dental plans
• Generous pension plan
• Employee discounts and perks
Who We Are
SAG-AFTRA is the iconic American labor union that represents approximately 160,000 media professionals. SAG-AFTRA employees support our members and thrive on securing the strongest protections by negotiating the best wages, working conditions, health and pension benefits. We preserve and expand members’ work opportunities, vigorously enforce our contracts and protect our members against unauthorized use of their work.