Executive Director, Communications & Marketing
SAG-AFTRALos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
The Executive Director, Communications & Marketing reports directly to the Chief Communications & Marketing Officer and leads, strategizes, collaborates, plans, and directs multiple aspects of the organization’s marketing and communications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• In close collaboration with the CCMO, oversee SAG-AFTRA’s external communications and marketing strategy across campaigns and channels.
• Partner effectively with the CCMO in developing, interpreting, and communicating SAG-AFTRA’s brand and value to diverse audiences.
• Leads the development of an annual, written strategic communications plan and goal matrix including tactical programs; implementation planning; team development and assignment, budgeting and KPIs.
• Help lead ongoing team-building efforts and activities in support of a powerful, mission-focused team.
• Is a purpose-driven and passionate advocate of labor, entertainment and media and a capable storyteller who is bold and innovative.
• Oversees the work of two national directors and a public relations executive. The ED is functionally responsibility for the work of the digital strategies, communications, marketing, campaign, video, publications, partnerships and publicity efforts of the union.
• Designs and directs data-driven decision making models, conduct necessary analytical assessment and provide a rigorous focus on empirical results tempered by observational experience.
• Oversees the development of target/goal/campaign specific plans and programs including a range of communications tools, vehicles, and channels spanning paid, owned and earned platforms, including social platforms
• Oversees strategic media relations and publicity efforts and ensure an optimal media relations program that blends comprehensive understanding of the union’s mission, vision, values and priorities.
• Provides creative leadership and artisitic partnership to department colleagues in the development of communications materials and messaging.
• Contributes to expanding the organization’s efforts and offerings; building strategic partnerships and relationships across the industry; and engaging and connecting important communities of influence in our sphere.
• Perform other duties as assigned or as the situation dictates.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Seasoned communicator who thrives in an environment where collaboration, creativity and curiosity are valued.
• Experience architecting brand level campaigns across multiple disciplines, including crisis communications, public affairs, and executive communications.
• Must have advanced writing expertise and experience authoring, editing, producing, or reporting in radio or television and/or publications in journals, magazines, etc.
• Deep understanding of wide range of communications channels, tools and vehicles spanning paid, owned and earned platforms, including social platforms.
• Demonstrated understanding of and expertise in web and social media content development.
• Technical experience in producing publications, annual reports, brochures, etc.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Must be an experienced, people-focused leader with a strong track record in developing and nurturing talent, team building and personnel coaching and leadership.
• Must be well-versed in data-driven decision making, analytical assessment and rigorous focus on empirical results tempered by observational experience.
• Must have extensive experience in reputation management and promoting and protecting brands through integrated marketing communications programs.
• Must be fluent in the labor movement and entertainment and media industries and have a high comfort level in counseling senior executives on strategic communications-related matters, as well as engaging with media influencers.
• Must be cool under pressure, with a sense of urgency, and an established ability to deal with ambiguous, sensitive and challenging situations.
• Strong time management skills. intellectual curiosity, sound problem-solving and decision-making abilities, creative and innovative thinking, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team are essential to this position.
• Experience working with colleagues in multiple locations.
• Ability to travel as necessary.
• Member Service
• Job Knowledge
• Project/Process Management
• Developing Employees
• Strategic Agility
• Politically Savvy
• Requires a Master’s degree.
• 10 years of communications, media relations, and marketing experience
• 5 years of experience at a management level
• Previous communications experience in a member-driven, labor, association or political environment is highly desirable.