SAG-AFTRALos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Director, Organizing (Los Angeles or New York)
What You’ll Do
The Organizing Director develops and manages organizing campaigns in accordance with SAG-AFTRA’s strategic organizing goals. Working with the National Director, Organizing, the OD will help manage the Organizing department, supervise and develop department staff, build its relationships with other SAG-AFTRA departments, and develop new strategies for organizing in the media and entertainment industries.
(This section provides a general summary of the most significant job duties performed. It does not explain in detail every single duty performed.)
• Assists the National Director, senior staff and elected leadership to develop and implement the SAG-AFTRA’s strategic organizing plans.
• Draws upon research, staff knowledge, and member and industry relationships to identify organizing targets.
• Develops innovative strategies and tactics for new organizing campaigns.
• Implements internal and external organizing campaigns in close coordination with other SAG-AFTRA departments.
• Forms strategic relationships with key individuals and organizations in the media and entertainment industries.
• Conducts outreach to potential employers.
• Supports appropriate committee(s) as directed to develop and facilitate organizing efforts.
• Manages and supervises staff and member volunteers.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
What You’ll Need
We want to make sure you’re successful. To be considered, you must have:
(The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.)
• Superlative interpersonal skills: high degree of patience and tact. Must be able to cultivate respectful, strategic and collaborative relationships with people from diverse backgrounds both internally and externally.
• Excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills. Able to communicate effectively in English.
• Must be a self-starter and team player.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to work under pressure in a very high-paced environment.
• Ability to prioritize, organize and coordinate multiple tasks under changing deadlines.
• Ability to expedite heavy workload efficiently.
• Must be detail oriented.
• Must be proficient in Google Suite.
• Must have digital campaign experience.
• Capable of taking direction from more than one supervisor in a high stress environment, where constructive feedback is encouraged.
• Have an understanding and awareness of worker rights impacting SAG-AFTRA members.
• Must possess strong familiarity with labor law as it relates to organizing and contract negotiations.
• Hold yourself and others accountable for a high level of performance and integrity.
• Experience or familiarity with strategic industry research methods.
• Knowledge of SAG-AFTRA contracts is a plus.
• Must be able to work in a challenging environment where constructive feedback from others is encouraged.
• Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such a level as is determined at SAG-AFTRA’s sole discretion.
• Must be available and willing to work extended hours per day or per week (and/or overtime for applicable non- exempt positions), including weekends and holidays, as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary to meet its business needs.
• Must be available and willing to travel to such locations and with such frequency as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
• Undergraduate degree in Labor Studies or related field and a minimum of 5 years of relevant external organizing experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience in traditional and non-traditional organizing, strategy, and tactics.
• At least 2 years in a staff leadership role with experience in development and implementation of strategic organizing campaigns.
• Experience managing employees and volunteers.
• Knowledge of the entertainment or media industry is preferred.
• Spanish language skills are a plus.
Certifications and/or Registrations:
What You’ll Get
We are a great place to work because we offer:
• Colleagues that are passionate about what we do and how they contribute to our mission
• Balance between work and home life responsibilities
• Affordable and comprehensive medical and dental plans
• Generous pension plan
• Employee discounts and perks
Who We Are
SAG-AFTRA is the iconic American labor union that represents approximately 160,000 media professionals. SAG-AFTRA employees support our members and thrive on securing the strongest protections by negotiating the best wages, working conditions, health and pension benefits. We preserve and expand members’ work opportunities, vigorously enforce our contracts and protect our members against unauthorized use of their work.