Counsel, Financial Assurances
SAG-AFTRALos Angeles, CA
This was removed by the employer on 3/3/2020 9:19:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Legal and Business Affairs Category
Browse the Union & Trade Organizations Category
Search for Counsel, Financial Assurances jobs in Los Angeles-CA
Search all Counsel, Financial Assurances postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Counsel, Financial Assurances? POSITION PURPOSE:
To protect the interests of SAG-AFTRA and its members by enforcing SAG-AFTRA contracts in all matters relating to financial assurances through negotiation and settlement of disputes, drafting and enforcing relevant contracts, and through arbitration and state/federal litigation. To provide timely and detailed advice to SAG-AFTRA departments regarding financial assurances issues that implicate state and/or federal law, federal labor law, and SAG-AFTRA contractual negotiations. To participate in financial assurances contract negotiations and where appropriate, to negotiate certain provisions within such contracts on behalf of SAG-AFTRA in matters relating to financial assurances. This role will report to the Assistant General Counsel with a dotted line to the Associate General Counsel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
(This section provides a general summary of the most significant job duties performed and the average percent of time spent on each function. It does not explain in detail every single duty performed.)
Negotiations and Transactional Work
• Manage caseload of financial assurances matters, concerning financial assurances-related contract issues and grievances against signatory producers and distributors.
• Represent SAG-AFTRA and its members in resolving financial assurances-related disputes between SAG-AFTRA and third parties, in an effort to preempt litigation.
• Obtain, maintain and enforce secured interests in motion picture collateral.
• Negotiate terms and provisions of contracts with particular emphasis on financial assurances matters; including security and inter-creditor agreements, collection and residuals reserve agreements, and such other agreements and documents as may be assigned.
• Provide general overview, information and assistance to SAG-AFTRA members in areas related to their work under SAG-AFTRA collective bargaining agreements as it intersects with financial assurances matters.
• Advise departments as to legal rights and obligations in connection with financial assurances issues, pursuant to relevant contracts, state and federal law (labor and otherwise), and other legally relevant authority;
• Prepare legal opinions and documents that interpret applicable laws, rulings (arbitration and other), the SAG-AFTRA constitution and contracts, and various regulations related to applicable law, in relation to financial assurances matters and as assigned.
• Prepare documents as necessary to respond to appropriate departmental requests.
• Conduct legal and factual research.
• Assess internal documents, policies, etc., for legal compliance, and advise SAG-AFTRA personnel appropriately.
Arbitration and Litigation
• Collaborate in the handling of arbitration matters (both simple and complex), concerning financial assurances-related grievances against signatory producers and distributors.
• Assist in the representation of SAG-AFTRA in administrative proceedings, and state and federal court regarding litigation brought by or against SAG-AFTRA, with respect to financial assurances issues and various litigation matters, including but not limited to disputes between members and producers/distributors/agents, based on state and federal law, and SAG-AFTRA contracts.
• Manage caseload of arbitration matters, concerning contract and NLRA-related member grievances against signatory producers and distributors.
• Supervise, direct and develop support staff.
• Administer year-round internship program, monitor work flow and assignments given to interns, supervise work product of interns, and evaluate performance.
• Perform other duties as assigned or as the situation dictates.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Hold yourself and others accountable for a high level of performance and integrity.
• Negotiating skills - able to negotiate with diplomacy.
• Able to work under pressure and independently.
• Capable of taking direction from more than one supervisor.
• Able to professionally deal with irate, hostile, and/or difficult personalities.
• Able to respond to member and third party calls in a timely manner.
• Must be able to work in a challenging environment where constructive feedback from others is encouraged.
• Detail oriented.
• Proficient on Lexis Nexis.
• Must be proficient in PC applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Able to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
• Able to organize, prioritize and coordinate multiple tasks under daily deadlines.
• Superlative interpersonal skills: high degree of patience and tact. Must be able to cultivate respectful, strategic and collaborative relationships with people from diverse backgrounds, both internally and externally.
• Have an understanding and awareness of worker rights impacting SAG-AFTRA members.
• Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined at SAG-AFTRA’s sole discretion.
• Must be available and willing to work extended hours (and/or overtime for applicable non- exempt positions) per day or per week, including weekends and holidays, as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary to meet its business needs.
• Must be available and willing to travel to such locations and with such frequency as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
• A Juris Doctor or LLB degree from an ABA accredited law school or equivalent and at least one year’s experience as a practicing attorney or its equivalent.
• Must provide a substantive legal writing sample.
• Active membership in the State Bar of California.
• Background in labor or entertainment law preferred. This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.