SAG-AFTRALos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
What You’ll Do
• Write high-quality copy for the organization’s digital platforms to share with our community in brand voice. Develop compelling angles to engage and educate the member community and to build relationships with audience and increase brand loyalty.
• Detail-oriented AP Style copyediting and fact-checking.
• Ensure all content meets SEO standards and strategy.
• Post stories, headlines, photos, graphics, pull quotes, etc. in a Drupal content management system.
• Regularly review, update, manage and improve content, including initiating and completing website audits, and ensure publication of updated content on member website in a timely manner.
• As needed, attend events and conduct interviews by phone or in person to gather information and research for editorial content.
• Participate in presenting/proposing ideas, internal brainstorming sessions.
• Manage multiple and sometimes competing deliverables and deadlines efficiently.
• Maintain editorial and marketing calendars, updating on a daily/weekly/monthly basis as needed.
• Assist with curation of and copy-editing of content for print and e-publications.
• Additional writing assignments may include social media content, push notifications, press releases, stories for print publications, scripts for speeches, videos or podcasts.
• Basic event photography as needed.
• Proactively pursue process improvements and advocating for appropriate resources/tools needed to effectively manage digital content.
• Ability to source images and create on-brand digital assets (graphics and photography) and/or work with graphics team to communicate what’s needed.
• Create content workflows with subject matter experts, track and manage progress of content work streams, escalating for prioritization when needed.
• Undertake special projects and assignments and other duties as assigned.
What You’ll Need
We want to make sure you’re successful. To be considered, you must have:
Communications & Marketing
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential.
• Ability to quickly write and copy-edit clear, impactful copy in brand voice following AP Style (must provide examples of published work and conduct editorial exam).
• Knowledge of website/social media best practices; proficiency with online content management systems, such as Drupal, along with a basic HTML.
• Strong understanding of SEO and content categorization best practices.
• High level of attention to detail and fact-checking.
• Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
• Basic understanding and ability to work in email marketing platforms, such as Oracle’s Eloqua.
• An eye for the types of content and stories that will generate interest, awareness and readership, and with the best potential to go viral.
• Basic photography skills.
• Have an understanding and awareness of the importance of labor unions, social justice and worker rights impacting SAG-AFTRA members.
• Have a high sense of ownership and hold yourself and others accountable for a high level of performance and integrity.
• Detailed-oriented, process and deadline driven with the ability to focus and produce results in a fast-paced environment, under tight deadlines without constant supervision.
• Must be available and willing to work extended hours per day or per week (and/or overtime for applicable non-exempt positions), including weekends and holidays, as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary to meet its business needs.
• Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and be proactive, as well as work effectively in a team and across functional groups.
• Strong organizational and project management skills with ability to stay on a determined timeline, while managing multiple projects simultaneously.
• Must be confident, 100% reliable, energetic with a positive attitude, accept responsibility, and handle pressure well.
• Capable of taking direction from more than one supervisor; flexibility and adaptability to changes in workload and differing work styles of direct supervisors.
• Superlative interpersonal skills: High degree of patience and tact. Must be able to cultivate respectful, strategic and collaborative relationships with people from diverse backgrounds both internally and externally.
• Must be able to work in a challenging environment where constructive feedback from others is encouraged.
• Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined by SAG-AFTRA’s attendance policy.
• Must be available and willing to travel to such locations and with such frequency as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs
• Ability to initiate and promote process improvement.
• Quick learner, flexible, highly adaptable, independent problem-solving and critical-thinking abilities.
• Motivated and knowledgeable, with the ability to work in an environment where the team is small, geographically diverse and subject to sudden and frequent changes in priorities.
In addition, we will assess the following competencies as part of the candidate evaluation process.
• Cultural Awareness
• Integrity and Trust
• Time Management
• BA/BS degree in journalism, public relations, communications, marketing or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• 3-4 years of experience writing, editing or creating corporate or nonprofit digital content, optimized for SEO preferred, along with knowledge/interest in the entertainment industry preferred.
• Bilingual English/Spanish highly preferred.
What You’ll Get
We are a great place to work because we offer:
• Colleagues that are passionate about what we do and how they contribute to our mission
• Autonomy to do your job well
• Balance between work and home life responsibilities
• Affordable and comprehensive medical and dental plans
• Generous pension plan
• Employee discounts and perks
Please provide a cover letter and attach or provide links to writing and website samples.
Who We Are
SAG-AFTRA is the iconic American labor union that represents approximately 160,000 media professionals. SAG-AFTRA employees support our members and thrive on securing the strongest protections by negotiating the best wages, working conditions, health and pension benefits. We preserve and expand members’ work opportunities, vigorously enforce our contracts and protect our members against unauthorized use of their work.