SAG-AFTRALos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Business Representative (TV &New Media)
The Business Representative will sign producers to various New Media and Television collective bargaining agreements, and provide contract information to producers, members, and members representatives. This role may also enforce contracts, research and file claims, as well as participates in outreach and educational events.
• Interprets and enforces contracts.
• Files claims on behalf of all principle performers.
• Coordinates with SAG-AFTRA’s Legal department on claims referred for arbitration; prepare claims synopses summarizing relevant issues pertaining to claim and claim history; may be required to provide expert testimony in arbitration.
• Communicates with initiating claimants regarding the progress on, and ultimate resolution of their claims; creates reasonable expectations regarding the outcome.
• Interprets and explains to members, signatory companies and third parties involved in the exploitation of -SAG-AFTRA’s covered productions, the provisions within the SAG-AFTRA Television Contracts.
• Signs companies to collective bargaining agreements, including negotiating and obtaining all proper chain-of-title and required financial assurance documents.
• Audits productions for contract compliance on an as needed basis.
• Represents SAG-AFTRA through participation in various committees, workshops, seminars, panel discussions and speaking engagements in the industry. May also serve as a staff liaison to various SAG-AFTRA committees or other posts as may be assigned.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Must have the ability to read, understand and interpret contracts.
• Must be customer service oriented and have the ability to interact well with members, performers, studio management and staff with discretion and diplomacy.
• Familiarity with Oracle systems would be advantageous.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft office.
• Must be well-organized and detail oriented.
• Must be able to work under pressure and work to imposed deadlines.
• Must be able to multi-task and work independently.
• Superlative interpersonal skills: high degree of patience and tact. Must be able to cultivate respectful, strategic and collaborative relationships with people from diverse backgrounds both internally and externally.
• Have an understanding and awareness of worker rights impacting SAG-AFTRA members.
• Hold yourself and others accountable for a high level of performance and integrity.
• Capable of taking direction from more than one supervisor in a high stress environment, where constructive feedback is encouraged.
• Must be able to work in a challenging environment where constructive feedback from others is encouraged.
• Undergraduate degree or a combination of 5 years of education and experience in a labor relations or entertainment environment preferred.
• Juris Doctor degree a plus, but not required.
• Legal knowledge/experience preferred due to the complexity of chain-of-title and financial assurances issues involved in the signatory process.
• Prior contract work experience in New Media platforms and digital technology, including digital production practices, hardware and software, industry players and entertainment business a plus.
• Paralegal Certification or legal knowledge/experience for analyzing chain of title, secured party status, and determining legal privity a plus.