Internet Culture Reporter
Rolling StoneRemote, US
Full Time Job
Rolling Stone, the leading voice of popular culture for more than 50 years, is adding a digital culture reporter to our news operation — writing and reporting quick-turn stories and investigative pieces from the farthest reaches of the internet, covering everything from TikTok cults to new Telegram propaganda to the hottest new creators our readers need to know about.
Join our fun, fast-paced, talented team as a digital culture reporter in the breaking news department. The ideal candidate has a deep understanding of and appreciation for internet culture, a track record of digital sleuthing and trendspotting, and a proficiency in verification tools and methods. The candidate must have impeccable news judgment and the ability to work independently, and an understanding at an instinctual level what makes a story work for Rolling Stone. This candidate should be able to write and report sensitively and smartly on stories of interest to diverse communities and have the proven ability to advance rapidly developing stories on deadline. Finally, the candidate must have the ability to respond to fast-moving events quickly, accurately, and with style.
• Work on a small team of staff writers covering breaking developments in internet trends and culture
• Hunt for exclusive material and track down sources.
• Write and report articles that advance major stories of the day.
• Pick sharp angles and engaging headlines.
• Brainstorm ideas with other reporters, editors, photographers, video producers, and social media managers.
• 1-3 years of experience in a breaking news environment.
• The ability to juggle several stories and projects at the same time and keep a cool head under pressure
• A proven track record of delivering high-quality material on deadline
• An understanding of creator culture and where to look for stories in the space that haven’t been previously reported
• Fluency in culture and internet news, both in the mainstream and at the fringes
• Familiarity with digital news-gathering tools
• Experience with analytics, social media management tools and basic photo/graphic/video editing skills are a plus.
It’s all About You…
At PMC, your wellness is top of mind. We offer a comprehensive benefits package to nurture you and your loved ones, including pets! Our package includes Healthcare (medical, dental, and vision) HSA with an employer contribution, FSA (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter), EAP, Life Insurance, 401K with an employer match, Paid Parental Leave, Long-term Disability, generous Paid Time off (PTO), Pet Insurance, and Home & Auto insurance. Our Wellness initiatives rotate yoga, meditation, wellness weeks on a variety of topics, and financial wellness. We continuously elevate our offerings with more, for you.
About Rolling Stone:
Rolling Stone, the number one brand in music publishing, has been the leading voice of music and popular culture for 50 years. The multi-media brand features the latest in music reviews, in-depth interviews, hard-hitting political commentary, and award-winning journalism across many platforms including magazine, digital, mobile, social and event marketing. Rolling Stone provides “all the news that fits” to a global audience of approximately 60 million people every month and publishes over 100 pieces of content every day.
PMC is a leading independent global media and information services company whose award-winning content attracts a passionate monthly audience of more than 310 million. Since 2004, Penske Media has been a pioneer in digital media and a platform innovator, reaching viewers on all screens across its ever-growing constellation of iconic brands, which includes Deadline, Variety, Rolling Stone, Billboard, The Hollywood Reporter, VIBE, WWD, SHE Media, Robb Report, Sportico, TVLine, BGR, ARTnews, Art in America, Fairchild Media, and Spy.com, among many others. PMC’s journalists and content creators deliver daily the most comprehensive news and information in their industries and areas of coverage, unequaled in ambition, depth and courage. Headquartered in New York and Los Angeles with additional offices in 14 countries worldwide, PMC believes companies should not only be profitable but also forces for good.