Breaking News Editor
Rolling StoneNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Rolling Stone: Breaking News Editor
Join our fun, fast-paced, talented team as the editor overseeing the breaking news department. The ideal candidate is able to work independently, has impeccable news judgment, is able to assign and edit sensitively and smartly on stories of interest to diverse communities. This candidate should have the proven ability to advance rapidly-developing stories and deliver exclusive information on deadline. Finally, the candidate should be able to analyze social data to identify trends, and respond to breaking stories quickly, accurately and with style.
• Supervise a small team of staff writers covering breaking developments in music, politics, entertainment, internet culture, and crime news
• Assign, edit, and write articles that advance major stories and deliver exclusive information
• Write engaging headlines
• Brainstorm ideas with other reporters, editors, photographers, video producers, and social media managers
• Guide and mentor junior members of Rolling Stone’s news staff
• Manage, schedule and post content on social platforms
• 3-5 years of experience in a breaking news environment
• The ability to juggle several stories and projects at the same time and keep a cool head under pressure
• A proven track record of delivering exclusive material on deadline
• Fluency in political, national and cultural news
• Familiarity with digital news gathering tools
• Experience with analytics, social media management tools and basic photo/graphic/video editing skills are a plus.
It’s all About You…
At PMC, your wellness is top of mind. We offer a comprehensive benefits package to nurture you and your loved ones, including pets! Our package includes Healthcare (medical, dental, and vision) HSA with an employer contribution, FSA (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter), EAP, Life Insurance, 401K with an employer match, Paid Parental Leave, Long-term Disability, generous Paid Time off (PTO), Pet Insurance, and Home & Auto insurance. Our Wellness initiatives rotate yoga, meditation, wellness weeks on a variety of topics, and financial wellness. We continuously elevate our offerings with more, for you.
Rolling Stone, the number one brand in music publishing, has been the leading voice of music and popular culture for 50 years. The multi-media brand features the latest in music reviews, in-depth interviews, hard-hitting political commentary and award-winning journalism across many platforms including magazine, digital, mobile, social and event marketing. Rolling Stone provides “all the news that fits” to a global audience of approximately 60 million people every month and publishes over 100 pieces of content every day.
PMC is a leading independent global media and information services company whose award-winning content attracts a passionate monthly audience of more than 310 million. Since 2004, Penske Media has been a pioneer in digital media and a platform innovator, reaching viewers on all screens across its ever-growing constellation of iconic brands, which includes Deadline, Variety, Rolling Stone, Billboard, The Hollywood Reporter, VIBE, WWD, SHE Media, Robb Report, Sportico, BGR, ARTnews, Art in America, Fairchild Media, and Spy.com, among many others. PMC’s journalists and content creators deliver daily the most comprehensive news and information in their industries and areas of coverage, unequaled in ambition, depth and courage. Headquartered in New York and Los Angeles with additional offices in 14 countries worldwide, PMC believes companies should not only be profitable but also forces for good.