Video Quality Manager - Broadcast Operations
Pluto TVLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Manager of Video Quality for the Streaming team at Pluto TV, you will be responsible for using existing tools and capabilities to ensure the quality of service for each Pluto TV user is optimized.
The successful candidate will be instrumental in refining existing video quality benchmarks across all Pluto TV Live channels.
If you have a passion for building great products, enjoy the art of collaboration, and have the ability to drive decisions that lead to highly reliable complex systems, we want to talk to you. This role is part of the Broadcast Operations team.
• Being able to effectively speak to Pluto TV's Video, Content, Revenue and Application teams on projects that support Pluto's video services.
• Using all existing tools and recommending new tools to review system status and preempting problems
• Leading forward-looking projects that can span multiple engineering organizations
• Influencing architectural decisions based on product requirements, high availability, massive scale, industry trends, quality metrics and emerging technologies such as new A/V codecs, stream packaging, and video streaming protocols.
• Document and present design decisions to your peers.
• Developing and maintaining a healthy, working relationship across all PlutoTV engineering and product teams
• Collaborate with the Video Playout, Transcoding an Player software development teams to contribute with production-ready code and anticipate potential quality of experience problems with Video Playout, Transcoding an Player changes, updates and upgrades.
Qualities / Experience We're Seeking
We believe the right individual will have the following skills and experience in order to be successful in this role:
• Significant experience with video operations workflows, including working knowledge of ffmpeg and/or GStreamer
• Strong with video streaming protocols HLS and MPEG-DASH and video players on multiple platforms such as iOS, ExoPlayer, Roku, video.js and hls.js
• Knowledge of industry standard A/V codecs and streaming protocols
• Knowledge of industry measurement and validation processes for linear OTT and VOD video
• Passion for Product Process and Innovation and being involved throughout the entire life cycle, from product initiation to delivery, and sponsor continued innovation that empowers our team to deliver the best content experience in the industry.
• Strong documentation skills: ability to create compelling documentation that sets up the engineering teams for success.
Citizens of Pluto TV have the privilege of entertaining millions of people. We are entrepreneurs looking to revolutionize the future of TV. While our planet is small, our ambition is boundless. The stakes don't get much higher.
Becoming a Citizen is hard work. We need self-starters that thrive in changing environments, who treat company resources like their own, and who deliver seemingly impossible outcomes at warp speed. It's the only way we stay ahead of the giants looking to take the opportunity we have earned. We are selective but once chosen, you're in.
Why You Should Become a Citizen of Pluto TV
As stated, becoming a Citizen is hard work but the rewards of citizenship are plentiful. Work with the smartest people on some of the most complex projects of your life, while profoundly impacting both Pluto TV and the broader world of entertainment. Share in the epic quest to define the future of television as we know it. Big commitment, big impact, lasting change.
As a Citizen, you will enjoy generously-sponsored medical benefits, a generous vacation policy, 401K retirement plan, social and team events, and more!
We're an equal opportunity employer (EOE)
At PlutoTV and ViacomCBS, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. Viacom is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.