Pluto TVLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
The Director, Programming is in charge of editorial choices, programming quality, and the ultimate success of Pluto TV categories and channels. The Director will manage a team of programmers responsible for all channels across six categories: Classic TV, Crime, Home DIY, Gaming Anime, En Espanol, Kids. This position is on the front line of revolutionizing the future of TV and is critical to achieving the Pluto TV mission of entertaining the planet.
OVERVIEW & RESPONSIBILITIES
This is a critical role with a wide range of responsibilities, including:
- Lead and manage two growing teams within the broader programming group (16 staff and freelance).
- Create strategies based on department KPI's and ensure success in meeting those goals.
- Experimental mindset to develop and tinker with monthly, weekly, and daily schedules while using data to support the success of content, channels, programming, and scheduling.
- Facilitate work as a cohesive Editorial team by mentoring and providing a growth path for all team members.
- Maximize the quality of content for our viewers; researching and targeting premium content, understand what premium content means to Pluto TV, and schedule accordingly.
- Engage with the larger Pluto TV organization, partnering with the Promotion and Marketing teams, Content Ops, Live Ops, and Content Acquisition/Partner Relations teams to actively seek out and optimize content for assigned categories and channels.
- Develop repeatable stunts and strategies that drive retention and engagement across multiple audience targets with success being measured by data.
- Work closely with Content Partnerships to review and tirelessly research content and content catalogs from major entertainment brands, and independent creators.
- Suggest new channel and category ideas to find new growth opportunities.
- Join partner meetings when requested to pitch programming ideas and maintain and manage partner relationships where applicable.
We believe the right individual will have the following skills and experience in order to be successful in this role.
- 8 years of experience in programming for major media outlets
- 4 years of experience managing teams
- Expert knowledge of/with various Content Management Systems including best practices around metadata management
- Broad knowledge and passion for pop culture, TV, film and online video (i.e. being a ''Pop Culture PhD'')
- Ability to analyze data and translate those insights into human behavior
- Proficiency with Google suite and data visualization tools (e.g.: Tableau)
- A balance of traditional and digital media programming experience a plus
- Ability to work cross-functionally to resolve complex issues
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent project management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Ability to work independently and meet tight deadlines with minimal supervision