Technical Director, Set Shade
This was removed by the employer on 7/7/2021 11:52:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Animation/Graphic Design/Visual FX Category
Search for Technical Director, Set Shade jobs in Emeryville-CA
Search all Technical Director, Set Shade postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Technical Director, Set Shade?
Full Time Job
• Design and iterate on the texture, color, and material properties of architectural and organic models and environments in a variety of visual styles
• Create materials using any or all appropriate techniques and resources, including proprietary and 3rd party software, 2D / 3D texture painting, procedural signals, reuse and modification of existing shading functions, and the creation of original algorithmic work
• Create textures in programs like Adobe Photoshop or Substance Designer
• Work closely with technical leads and art directors to review and revise work as necessary to gain Production Designer and Director approval
• Interpret shading direction that may be expressed as drawings, paintings, photographs, motion picture references and/or actual reference objects or locations
• Participate in artistic and technical discussions and problem solving
• Maintain asset stability and debug issues for downstream departments
• Projects may also include technical development such as implementing procedurals in the Open Shading Language and optimizing existing pipelines and assets
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Animation or Fine Arts or a related area, or equivalent work experience recommended, though not required
• Experience using 3D animation software required
• Strong aesthetic eye and technical understanding of shading, texturing, and look development
• Ability to follow art direction but also demonstrate initiative
• Ability to be self-motivated while working within a team structure
• Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a dynamic work environment
• Experience writing shaders with any shading language, such as OSL, RSL, GLSL, or C++ a plus
• Graphics programming, including RenderMan, Maya, Katana, Houdini and Nuke a plus
• UNIX/LINUX operating system experience a plus
• Work should exhibit a strong emphasis on surface history, demonstrating knowledge of how materials interact, change, and respond to illumination. Color, composition, and render quality will also be evaluated
• Reel should include animated shots, with turntables a plus
• Material and layer breakdowns a plus
• Personal artwork may be included, if relevant
About Pixar Animation Studios:
Pixar Animation Studios, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is an Academy Award®-winning film studio with world-renowned technical, creative and production capabilities in the art of computer animation. The Northern California studio has created some of the most successful and beloved animated films of all time, including ''Toy Story,'' ''Monsters, Inc.,'' ''Cars,'' ''The Incredibles,'' ''Ratatouille,'' ''WALL• E,'' ''Up,'' ''Toy Story 3,'' ''Brave,'' ''Inside Out,'' and ''Coco.'' Its movies have won 35 Academy Awards® and have grossed more than $13 billion at the worldwide box office to date.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Pixar Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Pixar Animation Studios.
Pixar Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.