Technical Director, Set Model
Full Time Job
• Works with the technical leads to fulfill the production designer's vision of a film
• Creates architectural and organic looking models and environments, using both manual and procedural techniques
• Reviews and revises work with the production designer, technical leads and director
• Creates clean and efficient assets, and supports downstream departments
• Produces clear and concise documentation as necessary
• A strong understanding of composition, form, physical motion, weight, balance and texture is required
• Experience with high-end modeling and animation systems such as Maya, Modo, XSI, Houdini or 3DStudioMax is required
• Experience in film, video games, architecture or other graphics production experience is strongly preferred
• Good written and verbal communication skills are required
• Must be able to work alone or collaboratively, often with multiple tasks and under deadline pressure
• Must be able to follow art direction but also demonstrate initiative
• Skills in both areas - modeling and set dressing - are a strong plus
• Skill and experience in one or more other areas of CG production: layout, shading, lighting, FX, and/or rendering is a plus
• Programming skills in a scripting language (e.g. Mel or Python) are a plus
• Education in Art, Architecture, Computer Science or Photography is preferred
• For Modeling Positions:
• Modelers may be required to rig set elements, so rigging skills are a plus
• Skill and experience in Maya, nCloth and Mudbox is a strong plus
• Some knowledge of shading is a plus
• Some knowledge of Houdini is a plus
• For Set Dressing Positions:
• Skill in the construction of various environments, both architectural and organic
• Ability to refine a shot's composition by adjusting the sets elements to camera
• Strong compositional skills and an awareness of how to support story though set design
• Ability to follow art direction and independently solve creative problems
About Pixar Animation Studios:
Pixar Animation Studios, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is an Academy Award®-winning film studio with world-renowned technical, creative and production capabilities in the art of computer animation. The Northern California studio has created some of the most successful and beloved animated films of all time, including ''Toy Story,'' ''Monsters, Inc.,'' ''Cars,'' ''The Incredibles,'' ''Ratatouille,'' ''WALL• E,'' ''Up,'' ''Toy Story 3,'' ''Brave,'' ''Inside Out,'' and ''Coco.'' Its movies have won 35 Academy Awards® and have grossed more than $13 billion at the worldwide box office to date.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Pixar Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Pixar Animation Studios.
Pixar Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.