Technical Director, Rendering
Full Time Job
• Provide technical support to all of production in the areas of rendering and workflow
• Help optimize our renders to ensure fast turnaround and reasonable render times and memory
• Help debug cleanup and fix artifacts in our final images to ensure they meet our high visual standards
• Assist all departments with setting up review renders needed at all phases of production
• Run sequence reviews, controlling playback and responding to needs of the room
• Guide problem solving conversations across departments
• Interface with production, systems, and tools to address technical issues in these overlapping areas
• Monitor renders on the renderfarm and ensure efficient usage of systems resources
• Education in computer science, mathematics, engineering, or a related field
• A strong eye coupled with a strong sense of technical cost, guiding sequences towards the right solution for a problem
• A helpful, customer-service attitude coupled with a love of the thrill of the hunt in debugging complicated pipeline issues
• Strong familiarity with computer graphics concepts such as rendering, and compositing
• Required skills include scripting or programming in C, C++, Python, or similar languages, as well as familiarity with one or more key production software programs such as Maya, RenderMan, Nuke, Katana, or Houdini
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required for communicating with the team, management, and other departments
• Must be able to context switch under pressure, transitioning amongst solo and collaborative tasks
• Must be a team player who is open to direction, and able to respond to changing production needs
About Pixar Animation Studios:
Pixar Animation Studios, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is an Academy Award®-winning film studio with world-renowned technical, creative and production capabilities in the art of computer animation. The Northern California studio has created some of the most successful and beloved animated films of all time, including ''Toy Story,'' ''Monsters, Inc.,'' ''Cars,'' ''The Incredibles,'' ''Ratatouille,'' ''WALL• E,'' ''Up,'' ''Toy Story 3,'' ''Brave,'' ''Inside Out,'' and ''Coco.'' Its movies have won 35 Academy Awards® and have grossed more than $13 billion at the worldwide box office to date.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Pixar Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Pixar Animation Studios.
Pixar Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.