Technical Director, Groom
This was removed by the employer on 1/27/2021 10:52:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Animation/Graphic Design/Visual FX Category
Browse the Studio Category
Search for Technical Director, Groom jobs in Emeryville-CA
Search all Technical Director, Groom postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Technical Director, Groom? Job Summary:
• Develop hair models for characters at both broad and fine levels based on art and reference
• Establish workflows that are sharable and reusable for new asset creation
• Understand the simulation implications of different type of grooms
• Establish a baseline for hair simulation
• Maintaining efficient grooms for both visual and render needs
• Develop and implement appearance of the texture, color, and illumination properties of hair
• Develop hair shaders using a variety of techniques and resources, including 2D / 3D texture painting, procedural signals, reuse and modification of existing shading functions
• Will be asked to paint textures in programs like Adobe Photoshop or The Foundry's Mari
• Work closely with production designers and directors to iterate on the desired look
• Work may be expressed as drawings, paintings, photographics and motion picture references and/or actual reference objects or location
• Maintain asset stability for downstream departments
• Experience using 3D animation software required. Graphics programming, including: Renderman, Maya, SideFX Houdini and The Foundry's Nuke, & Katana a plus
• Projects may also include technical development such as writing new code to make hair construction more efficient and optimizing existing pipelines and assets
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Animation or Fine Arts recommended, though not required
• Groom work should exhibit a strong emphasis on the quality of the hair and style of the film, demonstrating and understanding the physical properties of the hair and how its illumination fits into the film's look
• Color, composition, and render quality will be evaluated
• Work should demonstrate knowledge of how hair moves and interacts, and how its illumination complements that motion
• Reel should include both turntables and animated shots; material and hair layer breakdowns a plus. Hair variations that demonstrate the creative process is a big plus
• Experience with rigging hair or blending simulation with rigging a plus
• Personal artwork may be included, if relevant
About Pixar Animation Studios:
Pixar Animation Studios, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is an Academy Award®-winning film studio with world-renowned technical, creative and production capabilities in the art of computer animation. The Northern California studio has created some of the most successful and beloved animated films of all time, including ''Toy Story,'' ''Monsters, Inc.,'' ''Cars,'' ''The Incredibles,'' ''Ratatouille,'' ''WALL• E,'' ''Up,'' ''Toy Story 3,'' ''Brave,'' ''Inside Out,'' and ''Coco.'' Its movies have won 35 Academy Awards® and have grossed more than $13 billion at the worldwide box office to date.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Pixar Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Pixar Animation Studios.
Pixar Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Apply Now This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.