Technical Director Intern, Character Shade / Groom - Summer
Full Time Paid Internship
• Develop and implement appearance of the texture, color, and material properties of objects.
• Develop shaders using a wide range of techniques and resources including 2D/3D texture painting, procedural signals, reusing and modifying existing shading functions or writing new algorithmic work.
• Projects may also include technical development such as implementing procedurals in the RenderMan shading language, writing RenderMan DSOs and other graphics functionality, and optimizing existing pipelines and assets.
• Paint textures in Photoshop or Mari.
• Using drawings, paintings, photographic and motion picture references or actual objects and locations, design work desired by the Production Designer and Director.
• Maintains asset stability for downstream departments.
• Your area of study is in computer science, computer graphics, digital art or a related field
• You have experience using 3D software packages such as Houdini, Maya, Katana, and/or RenderMan
• Experience writing shaders with any major shading language (osl, rsl, glsl, C++) is a plus
• You have a deep understanding of physical motion, weight, balance, texture and form
• You possess an ability to follow art direction but also demonstrate initiative
• You are familiar with Unix/Linux systems
• Able to demonstrate your aesthetic via an online demo reel
• This is a six-month internship. You will need to be available to work full-time Mon - Fri for 24-weeks between May – December
• You already possess the legal right to work in the United States
Traditional Academic Paths:
• Currently enrolled as a junior or greater in a collegiate program
• Recent grads who are in their first year post graduation are still eligible to apply
Less Traditional Professional Paths:
• Career Transition: Those with a minimum of 5 years post-college graduation and whose professional experiences in a work/academic environment differ vastly from animation, VFX, gaming, and other computer graphics-focused industries
• Armed Forces: Those who have served in the armed forces and are in a retraining program
• Home Schooled: Those who are self-taught via an alternative educational path
• Unfortunately, we are not able to sponsor student / intern visas at this time
Submission process and application materials:
• Attach a single PDF file containing your cover letter and resume
• Provide a link to your online demo reel in the "Demo Reel'' section of the application; without this, you will not be considered for the internship
• If your demo reel is password protected, please include the correct password
• Due to the high volume of submissions, we are not able to provide feedback nor are we able to respond to requests for application status. You will be notified when there is an update on your application
• In submitting your application, you are agreeing to the terms of our Submission Release Form. Without this, we are unable to consider your application
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, February 13, 2022
About Pixar Animation Studios:
Pixar Animation Studios, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is an Academy Award®-winning film studio with world-renowned technical, creative and production capabilities in the art of computer animation. The Northern California studio has created some of the most successful and beloved animated films of all time, including ''Toy Story,'' ''Monsters, Inc.,'' ''Cars,'' ''The Incredibles,'' ''Ratatouille,'' ''WALL• E,'' ''Up,'' ''Toy Story 3,'' ''Brave,'' ''Inside Out,'' and ''Coco.'' Its movies have won 35 Academy Awards® and have grossed more than $13 billion at the worldwide box office to date.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Pixar Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Pixar Animation Studios.
Pixar Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.