Full Time Job
Software Engineer (FX)
Pixar's Software R&D Team develops our suite of in-house movie production software. We are seeking a highly-skilled FX Software Engineer to join our group that develops and maintains the software and pipeline used for effects animation at our studio.
In this role, you will be responsible for balancing short-term production needs with longer-term health and development of our FX tools. You should be comfortable working in a large codebase and in addition to maintaining its stability, seek opportunities to improve it!
This position requires the ability to communicate effectively with artists on a spectrum of technical experience, as well as coordinate with project management and engineers from other Pixar Software R&D teams.
• Work with artists and technical leadership to propose, plan, implement, and deploy new features
• Maintain and improve the software individually and collaboratively with a team of peer engineers
• Work directly with effects artists to support their use of Pixar's proprietary filmmaking software, including identifying, debugging, and resolving high-priority issues affecting them
• Work comfortably within a complex, multi-layered technology pipeline
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• Strong C++ skills with at least 3 years of professional experience
• Expertise in 3D math and computer graphics
• Solid understanding of practical software performance concerns
• Excellent debugging and problem-solving skills with high attention to detail
• Appreciation for the importance of long-term code health, peer review, automated testing, and documentation
• Ability to balance rapid delivery of critical solutions with long-term product quality
• Knowledge of 3D content applications and their APIs (especially Houdini and the HDK)
• Familiarity with animation and VFX production workflows
• Experience developing in a UNIX / Linux environment
• Experience working closely with both technical and non-technical clients
• Detail oriented and organized with excellent communication skills
• Ability to build positive and effective working relationships with diverse groups of colleagues and coworkers