Full Time Job
Pixar's Software R&D Team is responsible for the in-house filmmaking tools that are used to make every film. Our mission is to provide software that integrates cutting edge computer graphics techniques that are powerful and intuitive to use. As a Product Designer on the team, you will be designing for artists and filmmakers who are experienced in their craft.
The ideal candidate is able to take the knowledge gained from user-centered research and turn it into designs for efficient and elegant workflows that will be used day in, day out. You are of two minds: one to think broadly about the entire system and another, equally obsessed with the minute details of every interaction.
Our design team is small, so your happy place should be working on a supportive, close-knit and collaborative design team where critiques are regular and doors are always open. You'll work closely with engineers, artists, and other designers, but you should be comfortable spearheading design projects independently.
• Partner with our artists and engineers to turn conceptual workflow ideas into concrete designs
• Create designs using whatever techniques, fidelities, and/or methods that are most appropriate for the project, in a highly iterative development cycle
• Conduct user research and facilitate group conversations to help guide and clarify the project's goals
• Communicate your designs through compelling user stories in front of large groups and/or one-on-one with artists and engineers
• Engage with engineers to hone in on actionable designs, proposing alternatives along the way and embracing the technical underpinnings
• Create design specifications for engineering teams that capture the key conceptual, interactive and visual design details
• Test and evaluate your designs throughout the development cycle, iterating through deployment and beyond
• Advocate for user-centered design processes throughout the Studio
• A portfolio that showcases strength in both visual and UX design
• Proficiency with multiple user research methodologies
• Experience communicating designs through wireframes, storyboards, full-fidelity mockups, and prototypes using tools such as Figma, Keynote, and Principle
• Strong communication skills to express your design rationale visually, orally, and in writing
• Degree in Human Computer Interaction or other design field
• Technical background or familiarity with programming concepts
• Experience designing workflows in complex problem spaces
• Experience on teams where designers and engineers are fully integrated
• Experience or interest in animation, photography, 3D graphics, or other media production processes