Senior Manager, Basketball Communications
Phoenix SunsPhoenix, AZ
This was removed by the employer on 9/25/2021 7:16:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Marketing/Publicity/PR Category
Browse the Sports Category
Search for Senior Manager, Basketball Communications jobs in Phoenix-AZ
Search all Senior Manager, Basketball Communications postings
Full Time Job
Suns Legacy Partners, LLC operates the Phoenix Suns, Phoenix Mercury, and Footprint Center. The Suns are Arizona's original professional sports franchise anchored by 2021 Coach of the Year Monty Williams, 2021 Executive of the Year general manager James Jones and a roster featuring future Hall of Famer Chris Paul and All-Star Devin Booker.
The three-time WNBA Champion Phoenix Mercury are celebrating its 25th season led by 2020 Tokyo Olympic-Gold Medalists Diana Taurasi, Brittney Griner and Skylar Diggins-Smith. Footprint Center in the heart of downtown Phoenix, recently underwent a $245 million transformation, making it the preeminent destination for sports and entertainment in the southwest.
We are in the business of providing world-class experiences and lasting memories to fans of sports and entertainment. We're also in the practice of serving the community at-large by delivering tech and eco-innovations designed to make our lives better and the world a healthier and safer place.
The Senior Manager of Basketball Communications will work on the day-to-day operations, strategies, and objectives for the Phoenix Suns communications department, with a focus on basketball-related communication. This position will be responsible for assisting with all intersections of the basketball team and media, including player/coach interviews and access, team/player messaging and media operations. The successful candidate will play a central role in the production of game notes and other written materials that further team strategies and objectives. Candidate is expected to come with strong relationships, and have the ability to develop positive relationships with sports, sports business and lifestyle media members. All members of the communications team are expected to be curious storytellers, with a compulsion to share our narratives through proactive, strategic media placement. The candidate will have the ability to work across organizational departments to assist in company-wide initiatives.
What You Will Do:
• Execute a year-round communications plan that provides positive media coverage of players, coaches, management and entire organization
• Ability to consistently incorporate team's messaging into various communications tactics
• Utilize strategies that develop a proactive approach to public relations
• Produce the game notes and otherwise assist in the research and development of team statistical information and talking points
• Assist in the production of the team's media guide, preseason and postseason guide
• Ability to write and edit press releases, and other written communications
• Assist in managing the team's game-night media relations staffing, set-up and services
• Help manage all team media availabilities: practices, games, press conferences, etc.
• Assist in managing all media requests (local, regional and national) for players, coaches and basketball executives
• Manage the communications department's social media
• Assist in monitoring of the media conversation about team/players
• Occasional travel with the team in a public relations capacity for select road games and other events
• Generate story ideas involving team personnel and proactively pitch to media members
• Work with the Suns Content team to help create content opportunities for the team's digital/social channels; Assist in facilitating/coordinating any internal requests
• Establish and maintain effective relationships with media members and have the ability to respond quickly to all media requests
• Help manage team publicity surrounding annual basketball events: NBA Draft, NBA Summer League, Training Camp, etc.
• Work with league communications department as necessary in regard to media operations, storylines, statistics, national media requests, etc.
• Other duties as assigned by manager
What We Need From our Manager:
To perform the job successfully, the candidate should demonstrate the following competencies and/or have the following experience:
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in public relations, journalism or related field
• Minimum of 5 years public relations/media relations experience
• Ability to work with a wide variety of people and develop strong relationships
• Able to multi-task under time constraints, meet deadlines and work within a fast-paced industry/environment; must be very detail oriented
• Proven ability to proactively pitch stories and develop storylines
• Previous experience working with athletes preferred
• Excellent communications skills; an ability to express ideas clearly and concisely
• Ability to work irregular hours, including nights, weekends, holidays
• Ability to travel with team to games, summer league, etc.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is not an all-inclusive document. Additional duties, expectations, demands, etc. may be added or changed to this document on an as-needed basis in order to meet organizational needs.
The Phoenix Suns are an Equal Opportunity Employer