Manager Of Grounds
Philadelphia PhilliesPhiladelphia, PA
Don't worry we have a lot of jobs on the site like this one;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Sports Category
Browse the Studio Facilities/Equipment Category
Search for Manager Of Grounds jobs in Philadelphia-PA
Search all Manager Of Grounds postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Manager Of Grounds? Manager Of Grounds - Urban Youth Academy
The Phillies are seeking an experienced individual for the position of Manager of Grounds for The Phillies Urban Youth Academy (UYA) at FDR Park. This individual's primary responsibility will be overseeing and executing all daily field maintenance operations of the four field (two baseball, two softball) academy complex located within FDR Park in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversees and schedules all UYA staff.
• Hires all seasonal part-time staffing in consultation with the Director-Field Operations.
• Work with assigned Intern Program staff to provide ongoing learning opportunities during their assigned times at the UYA.
• Executes the playing field maintenance program including fertilization, cultural practices and irrigation and all other related functions.
• Coordinates various facility maintenance operations with applicable City and Phillies staff at the UYA including, but not limited to fence repairs, painting, building vandalism repairs, and small construction project management.
• Maintains a positive relationship with the various industry leaders throughout the state and country so as to increase the professional reputation of The Phillies' organization and Major League Baseball as a whole.
• Creates a positive and creative work atmosphere for all division employees.
• All other duties as assigned.
• Bachelors or Associates degree in turfgrass management, business administration, or similar degree area.
• A minimum two years' experience maintaining a professional or collegiate level baseball diamond, preferably in the Mid-Atlantic or Midwest regions.
• Extensive knowledge of and experience performing mound, plate and infield preparation, construction and care at the professional or collegiate level.
• Thorough knowledge of all applicable State & Federal pesticide regulations/laws.
• Ability to pass the Pennsylvania Pesticide Applicators core and category seven (7) exams within two months of hire.
• Experience handling and applying pesticides and fungicides.
• Exceptional organization abilities and the ability to work unsupervised.
• Experience scheduling and managing a staff of 3 or more individuals on a regular basis.
• Ability to interact professionally with City of Philadelphia staff and a wide variety of community end-user groups and individuals.
• Must be physically capable of safely operating medium to heavy machinery including tractors and skid steer loaders.
• Ability to lift 50 pounds unassisted.
• Ability to work for extended periods of time in high heat and humidity
• Ability to work with any plant materials, soils, pesticides, and chemicals commonly used in landscaping operations.
• Must have a valid driver's license.
• Have a basic understanding of equipment maintenance principals including small engine repair and reel mower cylinder grinding.
• Willingness to work long hours and a variable schedule including weekends and holidays, especially during the baseball season.
• Two years' experience as either a Head or Assistant Groundskeeper at the professional or collegiate level.
• Four years' experience maintaining Kentucky Bluegrass and hybrid Bermuda grass in the transition zone, preferably in the mid-Atlantic or Midwest regions in a high-end athletic field setting.
• Experience operating a centrally-controlled irrigation system, preferably a Rain Bird IQ Control system.
Please include a cover letter, resume, and list of references when applying.
The Phillies is an Equal Opportunity Employer