Senior Video Engineer, Video Engineering
PeacockNew York, NY
Full Time Job
At Peacock, the dynamic new streaming service from NBCUniversal youâ€™ll find more than a job. Here youâ€™ll find a fast-paced, high-flying team of unique birds who want to beâ€¯at theâ€¯epicenter of technology, sports, news, tv, movies and more. We work hard to connect people to what they love, each other and the world around them by creating shared experiences through culture-defining entertainment
As a company, we embrace the power of difference. Our team is committed to creating an organization that champions diversity and inclusivity for all by curating content and a workforce that represents the world around us. We continue to challenge ourselves and the industry by being customer-centric, data-driven creatures of innovation. At Peacock, we are determined to forge the next frontier of streaming through creativity, teamwork, and talent.
Here you can fly to new heights!
Senior Video Engineer
Peacock is looking for an experienced video engineer to join our team delivering high-quality video within the Playback Services team. You will become a part of a strong engineering culture, where the engineers work with software developers and technical architects to build and support live video workflows, delivering encoding and packaging solutions, managing origins, and streaming content to millions of customers.
Within Playback Services, the Video Engineering team builds and manages systems that deliver all content on Peacock, including 24x7 linear streams and major live events. So the reliability, quality, interoperability, and security of the content is of utmost importance. We need an engineer who is an expert in providing standards-based quality streams at scale.
You will play a major role in ensuring the quality and reliability of the live encoding and packaging space, ensuring consistency and quality against KPI. You will build solutions, test integrations, lead deployments, and monitor performance, working with the operations group and other technical teams to ensure consistent 24x7 monitoring. You will work closely with key vendors, developing solutions side by side, and you will embrace diversity as part of an inclusive and flexible workplace.
What the team does
• Builds workflow and systems that encode, package, and deliver high-quality, reliable live video content at scale directly to consumer devices consistent with our world-class KPI
• Builds tools that operators can use to manage live video streams 24x7
• Collaborates with player and application teams to drive innovation and improvements in video delivery and playback user experience
• Supports major consumer-facing launch events, including Peacock originals, movie events, and support for sporting events such as the Olympics
• Using in-house and third-party tools, build and support the live and linear pipeline for Peacock video, optimizing video encoding, packaging, and delivery for CDN delivery
• Provide Tier 2 support for Live events and Peacock Linear channels
• Perform content and network captures and analysis for troubleshooting and solution design
• Perform audio and video quality measurements
• Use requirements gathering, data analysis and modeling to work with technology partners, site engineers, and vendors to design and implement smart technology solutions and tools for delivering premium quality audio and video experiences
• Participate in POCs for emerging OTT video standards such as HDR10, Dolby Vision, low latency packaging, per-title encoding, and device-specific delivery
• Manage and maintain cloud-based content delivery and services
• Evangelise excellent engineering culture and best practices
• Work closely with key vendors to ensure timely, high-quality feature delivery
• Continuously learn, improve and optimise processes and ways of working
- Minimum six (6) yearsâ€™ experience with live video workflows in cloud and on-prem/off-prem environments, cloud development experience will be strongly considered
- Expertise with web technologies, digital video workflow and operations, and digital video technology development
- Expertise with live video delivery, video origin architecture, and issues of scale for live video delivery
- Expertise with video capture tools including Charles Proxy, Telerik Fiddler, VLC, and browser developer tools
- Deep understanding of OTT standards including CMAF/HLS, DASH, SCTE 35, WebVTT, CEA 608/708, H.264/AVC, and H.265/HEVC
- Experience with live direct-to-consumer delivery solutions including, AVOD and SVOD
- Experience working with CDNs, and a basic understanding of CDN architecture concepts and strategies
- Experience with monitoring tools such as DataDog, Dataminer, Splunk, Telestream, Touchstream, etc.
- Experience with dynamic ad insertion technologies including client- and server-side architectures, decisioning services, and signaling methodologies including VAST/VMAP and SCTE standards (35, 67, 104, and 224)
- Broad knowledge of digital video production and delivery across multiple tools, including Avid, Signiant, Aspera, Drupal, Freewheel, Flash, HTML5
- Knowledge of OTT video delivery pipelines including basic networking concepts, source origination, video ingest and encoding, and packaging including encryption and DRM
- Comfort with the Agile Software Development Life Cycle
- Strong quantitative, analytical, debugging, problem solving, and decision-making skills