Director, Editorial Metadata
Full Time Job
Welcome to Peacock, the dynamic new streaming service from NBCUniversal. Here you'll find more than a job. You'll find a fast-paced, high-flying team for unique birds that want to be at the epicenter of technology, sports, news, tv, movies and more. Our flock works hard to connect people to what they love, each other and the world around them by creating shared experiences through culture-defining entertainment.
As a company, we embrace the power of difference. Our team is committed to creating an organization that champions diversity and inclusivity for all by curating content and a workforce that represents the world around us. We continue to challenge ourselves and the industry by being customer-centric, data-driven creatures of innovation. At Peacock, we are determined to forge the next frontier of streaming through creativity, teamwork, and talent.
Here you can fly to new heights!
NBC Universal is hiring a Director, Editorial Metadata to join the Editorial Creative team in support of our direct-to-consumer streaming service, Peacock. In collaboration with cross-functional partners, this role will oversee creative copywriting and metadata optimization across a mid-sized team spanning domestic and international workstreams. The Director, Editorial Metadata will be adept at wielding emotional and cultural intelligence to build collaborative, geographically dispersed partnerships with internal and external teams.
One part wordsmith, this role will have an eye for 21st century copy that sings, as well as a keen understanding of the relationship between metadata and imagery in creative deliverables. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong comfort level developing and communicating editorial style guidance for internal and external stakeholders with varying skillsets across multiple organizational levels. One part localization wizard, the ideal candidate will also leverage seasoned expertise in overseeing large-scale, time-sensitive, accurate and culturally attuned translation of English copy into numerous languages for international audiences.
One part taxonomist, the Director will demonstrate a firm grasp of entertainment-oriented metadata management best practice, including classification know-how and organizational database prowess needed to oversee effective content categorization, keyword tagging and controlled vocabulary development for an international film and television library. In alignment with cross-functional KPIs, the ideal candidate will bring a strong comfort level collaborating with data and decision science stakeholders, tech and product development teams, and editorial content experts looking to strategically drive content discovery and performance. One part tooling guru, this role will also wield information systems expertise within a complex technology ecosystem to drive development of backend metadata management interfaces, ensure streamlined operational workflows, and contribute to optimal development of consumer-facing product enhancements.
We're also looking for a candidate who wants to help build a new corporate culture; at Peacock we are passionate about movies, TV shows and building a streaming service from scratch, and we think it's really important to have fun while doing so. While this position is part of a Los Angeles-based team, the candidate may work remotely from other locations in the United States. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong comfort level with piloting uncertainty and uncharted territory in hybrid virtual/in-person environments, leveraging effective remote communication strategies amid the establishment of new, agile and evolving workflows whose business priorities, needs and related tools take shape and grow over time.
*Please include a cover letter when submitting your application.
• Establish priorities for metadata optimization and communicate progress to stakeholders on a regular basis
• Lead recurring meetings to review metadata enrichment workflows with cross-functional stakeholders
• Identify opportunities to improve operational efficiencies and oversee iterative streamlining efforts
• Conduct content analysis and strategic keyword optimization to improve content discovery
• Develop metadata enrichment documentation to memorialize and improve existing procedures in alignment with metadata governance best practice
• Review and develop requirements for data dashboards to monitor effects of metadata optimization on key performance metrics
• Collaborate with product, tech, decision science and data science partners on metadata-related feature testing and enhancements
• Oversee creative style guidance review, compilation and development among cross-functional teams
• Provide real-time creative style guidance to copyeditors and copywriters across internal and external workstreams
• Collaborate with consumer insights researchers to test how creative copy elements resonate with viewers and apply learnings to creative specs
• Minimum 10 years of relevant media and metadata experience, including at least 3 years of formal supervisory experience and 5 years leading and/or managing projects on digital platforms such as content management systems (CMS), digital/media asset management (DAM/MAM) systems or other similar platforms
• Strong comfort level with taxonomy management and metadata best practices
• Strong comfort level with MVPD/OTT/SVOD publishing procedures and industry trends
• Outstanding collaborative communication skills (written, oral, presentation, in-person, virtual, interpersonal, intercultural)
• Highly organized and skilled in project management with the ability to easily navigate a variety of digital tools such as Airtable, Slack and Microsoft Teams
• Excellent writing ability; must be willing to take a copywriting and proofreading test
• A demonstrated passion for film, television and sports entertainment
• Curiosity for performance data, consumer insight research, cultural nuance and linguistic diversity
• Ability to operate independently, managing a high volume of time-sensitive metadata projects in a high-pressure environment with shifting priorities 7 days a week; must be willing to work evenings, weekends, extended hours or holidays as needed
• Descriptive metadata optimization experience directly related to localization for international audiences
• Copywriting experience within the entertainment industry, streaming platform a plus
• Familiarity with Gracenote or other international metadata aggregation services
• Fluency in a non-English language