Solicitor / Paralegal - Acquisitions Lead
Full Time Job
Paramount is coming to the UK… and we couldn't be more excited!
We are a global content powerhouse and our house of brands including Showtime, Paramount Pictures, CBS, Comedy Central, MTV and Nickelodeon have shaped current events and pop culture for decades. Our content arsenal includes some of the largest and most valuable collections of entertainment in the world. Ever heard of Top Gun, Mission Impossible, Transformers, Dexter, Billions, Your Honour, The Good Fight, iCarly, Rugrats, Smurfs, Star Trek? Thought so…
All our best premium and well-known content in one service, with great local content too? It's going to be epic!
We've got a mountain of entertainment and now we need your talent to bring it all to life. You could be in right at the start of Paramount here in the UK and be part of our aspiration to being a leader in streaming. Not only that, you'll be helping to bring premium entertainment and content to millions.
Ready to play your part?
PLEASE BE AWARE THIS ROLE IS A 12 MONTH FTC
What will you be doing?
This role's primary purpose is to provide legal and business affairs support for the acquisition and commissioning of content for exhibition and exploitation across all of our linear and non-linear services, with particular emphasis on Paramount ; to negotiate, draft and finalise third party acquisition and commissioning agreements and inter-company licences and amendments; to guide and advise the VCNI Acquisition and commissioning teams on rights and legal matters (including but not limited to new and emerging media functionalities, utility and usage rules, holdbacks, video-on-demand services, copyright, music, press and promotional activities rights and clearances etc.); to contribute to the acquired content editorial selection process and purchasing strategy; to supervise and oversee the management of acquired programming output deals, contracts and amendments; to establish, maintain and enhance relationships with key suppliers such as the Hollywood majors and production companies/groups; to support the rights management teams in the underlying clearance of content as well as with the effective implementation and maintenance of increasingly complex rights data base systems; to deputise for the Director of Business Affairs, Acquisitions as appropriate.
You will also be required to work in close liaison with and/or undertaking work for the wider BALA team as capacity and business priorities require. This may include (without limitation):
• Drafting, negotiating and advising on development and commissioning agreements and/or other ancillary contracts
• Reviewing and advising commitments made in Editorial/Commissioning Specification Forms
• Working with and supporting the BALA Content Legal & Compliance, Core Commercial and MML (Music & Media Licensing) teams on an ad hoc basis as required
• Reviewing and advising on the underlying clearances and/or cross-brand content sharing of existing VCNI programming (for both UK and international exploitation)
• Reviewing and updating company precedents where necessary
• Advising on changes in law likely to materially affect VCNI's business activities
• Advising on intellectual property matters, including trademark, copyright and passing off
• Advising in respect of exploitation of ancillary programme rights (publishing, merchandising, VOD, DTO, DVD etc.)
• Liaising with outside legal counsel where required, subject to prior instructions
• Flexibility to work on ad hoc tasks and projects as required by all C5/Viacom brands
What are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will be a solicitor or an experienced paralegal, with a demonstrable track record of commercial and entertainment law in the industry. . Candidates will also be able to demonstrate:
• Hands-on experience of media rights deals, particularly in the realms of television and film
• A basic knowledge and understanding of media compliance laws and issues, including the Ofcom Code
• A solid knowledge of rights issues, contract law, copyright law and distribution
• Excellent drafting skills – ability to take instructions on a wide variety of contracts and produce working drafts (both with and without reliance on precedent) to meet business requirements
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and an ability to interact with people at all levels within an organisation and to present complex legal advice and conclusions concisely
• An ability to deal with a large and varied workload, often under critical time pressure
• The ability to be a team player with energy, drive and resilience
• Strong attention to detail and analytical skills, combined with the ability to see the strategic perspective and the imagination to find a creative solution to business issues
• A positive and constructive attitude – able to deal with pressurised situations in a calm and effective manner
We offer an inclusive environment where you can really be yourself and find your niche. You'll get to work alongside streaming platforms you can be proud of, with content that touches millions of lives. Plus, you can learn about the things we're doing to make the industry more sustainable, and enjoy lots of perks:
• A monthly streaming fund
• All the health and financial benefits you'd expect, and some you wouldn't
• Flexibility to own the way you work
• Mental health activities and support
• All manner of BBQs, socials and events
Find out more about Paramount from leaders
What are you waiting for? Put in your application!
Our values are intertwined and work together to drive the business outcomes we seek, and once combined we believe these will power our company forward.
• Optimism & Determination: We share a positive belief that we can navigate and thrive in the landscape ahead
• Inclusivity & Collaboration: We embrace new and diverse voices, act with care and work together to capture opportunities and manage through challenges
• Agility & Adaptability: We think entrepreneurially, are resilient in change and move quickly to anticipate and create what's next