Senior Legal Counsel, Scripted Content Production
Full Time Job
Paramount is coming to the UK… and we couldn't be more excited!
We are a global content powerhouse and our house of brands including Showtime, Paramount Pictures, CBS, Comedy Central, MTV and Nickelodeon have shaped current events and pop culture for decades. Our content arsenal includes some of the largest and most valuable collections of entertainment in the world. Ever heard of Top Gun, Mission Impossible, Transformers, Dexter, Billions, Your Honour, The Good Fight, iCarly, Rugrats, Smurfs, Star Trek? Thought so…
All our best premium and well-known content in one service, with great local content too? It's going to be epic!
We've got a mountain of entertainment and now we need your talent to bring it all to life. You could be in right at the start of Paramount here in the UK and be part of our aspiration to being a leader in streaming. Not only that, you'll be helping to bring premium entertainment and content to millions.
Ready to play your part?
Is this the role for you?
This is an extremely exciting time to join the BALA team as the ViacomCBS business in the UK continues to build its unrivaled portfolio of world class consumer content propositions with commercial and PSB broadcasting offers, including the recently announced launch of its SVOD services ''Paramount ''.
What will you be doing?
We are looking for an experienced scripted production lawyer with expertise in high budget production, international co-productions, as well as scripted acquisitions, to join BALA team colleagues focussed on content creation, including production funding (both soft and hard finance). Ideally you will have worked in production or film finance, have a solid understanding of intellectual property rights and experience of working with talent and talent union arrangements on an international basis, with a passion for multi-media content creation and delivery.
• Drafting, negotiating and advising on a broad range of contracts, including, for example
• all underlying rights and production agreements, contributor releases, presenter agreements, access and location agreements, licences for third party materials, format options, literary options
• production financing agreements
• acquisitions agreements, including film and series licences from global suppliers
• talent union agreements across multiple jurisdictions and territories
• short form digital content creation, technology and product agreements
• Advising on co-production arrangements, suggesting and managing funding and rights models
• To support and advise production on all legal matters as they arise
• Working alongside the Content Legal & Compliance team to review and sign off commitments made in Editorial/Commissioning Specification, production protocols and production risk analysis processes
• Dealing with distribution queries, liaising with programme Distributor(s) with regard to distribution deal terms and practical issues
• Advising in respect of exploitation of ancillary programme rights (publishing, merchandising, DVDs etc.)
• Encouraging and developing positive, collaborative and creative relationships both internally and externally, managing and enabling stakeholder expectations, delivering solutions driven advice to senior management on multiple corporate/commercial issues and business development matters
• Coordinating and updating company precedents where necessary
• Advising on changes in law likely to materially affect the company's business activity
• Instructing and managing outside legal counsel where required, within agreed budgets
• Maintaining an up to date knowledge of legal developments and market intelligence
• Supporting the wider BALA team generally, seeking always to drive efficiency via an appropriate risk management approach to problem solving, including the proposal of new ways of working
• Where required, supervising junior members of the team, including the nurturing and development of legal trainees and other junior roles
What are we looking for?
Ideally you will be a qualified solicitor with significant post-qualification and similar industry experience, both in-house and in private practice. Candidates will also be able to demonstrate:
• A track record as a production lawyer, with experience in delivering scripted productions with an international appeal!
• Close working relationships with commissioners, executive producers, production management and talent
• Expertise in TV rights, acquisitions and production deals
• Demonstrable working knowledge of funding models including deficit funding, pre-sales, co-productions etc.
• Extensive knowledge of rights issues, distribution, contract law, copyright law and production financing
• Strong attention to detail and analytical skills, combined with the ability to see the strategic perspective and the imagination to find a creative solution to business issues
• Excellent drafting skills – able to take instructions on a wide variety of contracts and produce working drafts (both with and without reliance on precedent) to meet business requirements
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, an ability to interact with people at all levels of an organisation and present complex legal conclusions concisely
• Ability to manage a large and varied workload, often under critical time pressure
• A flexible, collaborative teammate with energy, drive and resilience
• A positive and constructive mentality– able to deal with pressurised situations in a calm and effective manner
• Connections within the industry, knowledge of the market and global media trends and a sense of humor!