Senior Director, Business & Legal Affairs, Production
Full Time Job
Paramount Global (NASDAQ: PARA, PARAA) is a leading global media and entertainment company that creates premium content and experiences for audiences worldwide. Driven by iconic studios, networks and streaming services, Paramount's portfolio of consumer brands includes CBS, Showtime Networks, Paramount Pictures, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET, Paramount , Pluto TV and Simon & Schuster, among others. Paramount delivers the largest share of the U.S. television audience and boasts one of the industry's most important and extensive libraries of TV and film titles. In addition to offering innovative streaming services and digital video products, the company provides powerful capabilities in production, distribution and advertising solutions.
Is this the role for you?
The Business and Legal Affairs (â€œBALAâ€) team in London are a hugely trusted and well-respected team working across all the channel brands in the UK, alongside colleagues in the International BALA community.
We are looking for an experienced scripted and/or non-scripted production lawyer with expertise in high budget production, international co-productions, as well as commissioned programmes and acquisitions, to join BALA team colleagues focussed on content creation across genres, including production funding (both soft and hard finance). The role requires experience of leading a team of lawyers or business affairs professionals in production, commissioning and/or film finance, with a solid understanding of intellectual property rights in the media industry. Experience of working with talent, agents and talent union arrangements in the UK and internationally is desirable, as is a passion for multi-media content creation and delivery.
What will you be doing?
• Build key relationships with senior management and stakeholders (internal and external) in content /commissioning and finance both in the UK and across the international business teams, contributing meaningfully to the evolution of VIS UKâ€™s business strategy
• Key member of the UK BALA senior team and the VIS production international team responsible for leading and managing production lawyers with a variety of experience, in the VIS UK team, focussing on personal and professional development, within a matrix environment
• Will lead and manage the brokering of solutions that manage risk and balance the interests of competing stakeholders, whilst ensuring the best interests and values of the company are upheld
• Operate independently and confidently in complex negotiations and discussions with key stakeholders, across multiple jurisdictions.
• Must be able to facilitate the negotiation and conclusion of well-crafted agreements that support the delivery of the production, within budget, whilst also managing the best interests of VCBS
• Manage difficult conversations with internal clients and external partners, clearly articulating and managing risks within the production and financing environment
• Lead and collaborate with BALA team members in the UK and internationally in preparing and maintaining legal precedents and know-how
• Partnering and supporting the commissioners as well as the studios business (scripted and non-scripted) you will have experience of drafting, negotiating and advising on a broad range of contracts
• Working alongside the Content Legal & Compliance team to review and sign off commitments made in Editorial/Commissioning Specifications, production protocols and production risk analysis processes
• Overseeing any Ofcom and broadcaster compliance issues
• Responsible for a variety of funding models including deficit funding, pre-sales, co-productions etc.
• Overseeing and updating company precedents where necessary
• Advising on changes in law likely to materially affect the company's business activity; maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of legal developments and market intelligence
• Overseeing distribution queries, liaising with programme Distributor(s) with regard to distribution deal terms and practical issues
What are we looking for?
• The ideal candidate will be a qualified solicitor with significant post-qualification and relevant industry experience, both in-house and in private practice.
• Proven leadership of a multi-disciplined business and legal affairs team, with experience of managing personal and professional development and performance
• Expertise in scripted and/or non-scripted film or television (including commissioning and distribution), as well as production finance, tax and international production experience (particularly in respect of US productions: WGA, DGA, SAG-AFTRA issues) would be desirable
• Strong understanding of the financing of scripted production via e.g. rights pre-sales, co-productions, treaty finance and tax incentive schemes and have some experience of providing legal support in these areas
• Close working relationships with senior management in content/commissioning and finance and Heads of Production, and several production teams in previous roles
• An understanding of broadcast regulation in the UK and Europe and experience in managing compliance issues
• Extensive knowledge of rights issues, distribution, contract law, copyright law and production financing
• Exposure to privacy and data protection issues within multi-media platforms
• Strong attention to detail and analytical skills, combined with the ability to see the strategic perspective and the imagination to find a creative solution to business issues
• Excellent drafting skills â€'' able to take instructions on a wide variety of contracts and produce working drafts (both with and without reliance on precedent) to meet business requirements
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, an ability to interact with people at all levels of an organisation and present complex legal conclusions concisely
• Accurate reporting and analysis, an understanding of good governance and compliance are key priorities
• Strong attention to detail, combined with the ability to see the strategic perspective and the imagination to find a creative solution to business issues
• Connections within the industry, knowledge of the market and global media trends